Turning 29

Turning 29

Looking back on a roller coaster of a decade and looking ahead to what's next.

235
Turning 29
Courtesy of The Keep Calm-O-Matic Website

It has been a strange and disorienting ride – my twenties.

I am about to enter the last year of this decade of my life as I am turning 29 on November 22. I thought maybe it was a good time to reflect on these years of my life and look ahead to the future.

I spent part of my 20s watching my family tear itself to bits at various time only to come back together stronger than before in one way or another.

I lost one of my only blood grandparents remaining — my grandmother on my mom’s side — to stage 4 brain cancer.

I’ve struggled with my family financially, and still do. And it has given me a new appreciation for things in my life. Granted, while money doesn’t make the world go around it certainly helps to grease the wheels a little bit.

And…I really truly have one major regret from this past decade of my life.

I spent the first half or so of my 20s in school completing my bachelors degree and pushing after my masters degree, which I finished just about a year and a half ago. My nose was buried so deep into my books and studies that I really didn’t leave myself enough time to get out on the campus and be active amongst my fellow students. About all I had time for in my spare time was a little gaming and watching YouTube or TV. I truly regret not forcing myself to clear that spot on my calendar — even just one day a week — to get out and enjoy more of the experience.

Word to the wise – don’t be like me. Yes, focus on your studies and maintaining whatever the grade point average is required of you but do not ignore the experiences. They are how you grow as a person and connect with your peers and network for projects and jobs that lie ahead in your future. I missed out on a lot of these things and I would do anything to go back and change that.

On the flip side of that, I have had a few triumphs these past nine years.

My dream of becoming a published author came true, thanks to my graduate school and a networking opportunity that I was granted. I’ve learned a lot through this connection and made a lot of friends in the writing industry. I don’t care about the money. I really don’t. I’m just thankful that I got to live to see my dream come to fruition.

I gained some invaluable reporting-like experience with a year spent writing for GeekSmash.com and their blog prior to them closing that portion of the website and company down. I learned more about blogging and how to share articles a bit more effectively. I got to share my love of things geeky with the world at large.

I met my husband during these years, when my self-esteem was so low because of my weight and the cyst I carried in my neck for a long, long time. Our ride hasn’t been easy and it will never ever be easy but it is worth it having someone at my side that loves me for me — good days, bad days and the in-between days — and loves my family like his own. We will be married four years come December 10.

Pushing forward, I have no expectations of where the next decade (my 30s as of November 2017) will go. I’d like to be in my own home with my husband, a few kids in tow (be it through natural means or adoption), a paying job etc.

But, I’ve learned life is a roller coaster, to be sure. You have major highs and major lows and you have no idea of when and where these moments will come. You have to learn to appreciate the ride, learn from the bad times and use those bad times to motivate you to make the best of the good times.

Take time to reflect and take stock of the lessons you’ve learned. And take them into the future, ready and able to face whatever big drop or big rise that life throws at you next, readers.

Until next time.