Concerns When You Turn 20

8 Thoughts You Have When You Turn 20

No longer being a teenager can render a LOT of questions and concerns.

@oanastancuxo on instagram.com
99

I was born on June 9, 1999, so recently, I celebrated my 20th birthday. Like most people, I really enjoy celebrating my birthday, and love spending time with my loved ones when it comes around. Turning 20 felt different though. Unlike most other birthdays, it made me think critically about the fact that I am transitioning into adulthood.

It is so strange to me that I am not considered a teenager anymore. Even though 18 is the legal age requirement of adulthood, turning 20 really made me feel like an adult.

1. Finally, I’m no longer a teenager!

Realizing this makes you feel important, mature, and like you finally have everything falling into place.

2. Oh my god, wait… I’m no longer a teenager…

You've been a teenager for six years, and when you were younger, you longed to be one. Not being a teenager is the first step in realizing you are a "real" adult.

3. One more year until I can legally drink!

Finally, you won't be the odd one left out among your older friends and family. Time to start the countdown!

4. I’m so old.

In reality, you aren't, but adulthood's rapid approach does make you feel this way. Also, looking at current high schoolers and middle schoolers is a quick way to make you feel super old. When did everyone get so young??

5. I’m almost out of college!!

No more schooling. No more homework. It's every student's dream. At least, for students like me who hate homework and tests.

6. Oh, no...I’m almost out of college…

Most people do not pursue secondary degrees, so this means that you're almost done being a student. It's scary, thinking about being in the real world and not relying on the schedule of doing homework and studying that I've gotten used to.

7. What next?

I'll have a degree after college, but so what? I have no idea what I want to do, so I better figure it out fast. Thinking about the future is a scary but freeing experience at the same time. There are no restrictions, so you can dream big. However, actually planning for the future takes time and organization.

8. Can I do this?

This question is a big one. Turning 20 makes you wonder about your self worth and if you have what it takes to be an adult. The answer is you 100% are capable of doing it.