TSwift vs. Kimye: A Brief History

TSwift vs. Kimye: A Brief History

The most famous beef of our time.

16
TSwift vs. Kimye: A Brief History
Time

If you have been hiding under a rock for the past week, you should know that Taylor Swift got into a feud with the power couple of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West.

The conflict dates back to 2009 when Kanye got on stage while Taylor was accepting her VMA for Best Female Video and interrupted her acceptance speech to give Beyoncé a quick shoutout. After stating that he was happy for Taylor he went on to say that "Beyoncé had one of the best videos of all time!" He was then booed off the stage.

In September of 2010, Kanye tweeted Taylor that he was sorry. A mere two months later, he listed Taylor's album, Fearless, among other albums that should not have won the Grammy for Album of the Year. In the same interview, he claimed that by him interrupting her, it actually helped her sell more albums.

At the 2015 VMAs, their ongoing dispute seemed to be over when Taylor presented Kanye with the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award. While presenting this, she said she was happy for him and that he had "one of greatest careers of all time."

Then when Kanye's new album, The Life of Pablo, came out, the song, Famous, sparked some controversy. To summarize the explicit lyrics, Kanye basically says that he has a feeling he might still have sex with Taylor because he believes he made her famous. Confusing, I know.

After receiving backlash from loyal Swifties, Taylor's fanbase, Kanye released a statement saying he had gotten Taylor's permission to use that line in his song. Taylor's PR people slapped back saying that he did not call for approval of the lyric.

Taylor then went on to win the Grammy for Best Album of the Year, again. She is the first woman to win this Grammy twice! Girl power! While accepting this award, she indirectly threw shade at Kanye by stating, "There are going to be people along the way who will try to undercut your success or take credit for your accomplishments or your fame." We can infer that this is in fact directed at Kanye without his name being stated because he is trying to take credit for her fame.

Now here is where Kim gets involved. This past week, Kim took to Snapchat on National Snake day to leak the phone call between Taylor and Kanye. In this recording, Taylor not only agreed to the line being used in his song, but she also called it dope. Kanye seemed to respect Taylor's beliefs and well-being while carrying on the conversation. Taylor added a quick thank you for the heads up on the line as well.

Many celebrities got in on this beef over twitter some taking Taylor's side, and others taking Kimye's side. Taylor quickly took to Instagram to say that she was framed as a liar and never was told the full story.

The moral of the story is both parties are wrong. Taylor tried to say she did not know about the line when it came out, even though she did know, and Kimye took part in an illegal activity. Recording a phone call without the consent of both parties is illegal in California.

I'm sure this will not be the last we see of Kimye vs. TSwift. For now, we patiently wait for the next move.