Trying To Understand 'Black Lives Matter' After The Milwaukee Riots

I wanted a better understanding of the Black Lives Matter movement, so I interviewed a BLM activist.

55
Politico.com

This week, another story of a police shooting rose to the spotlight, causing an unbelievable amount of tension within Milwaukee's black community. This tension caused riots and protests that quickly became devastating to the surrounding community, and seemingly had Black Lives Matter (BLM) smeared all over it.

While reading about what had happened, I felt very angry and confused. I was angry that people, or BLM, thought burning buildings would help their cause, and it made me confused about my support of the BLM movement. I was trying so hard to remember that this small population does not fully, if at all, represent such a large movement. But I was seeing terrible things posted, said and reported about the movement and those involved, reminding me that a lot of people do not see it this way. I understood the disgust and anger that surrounding communities felt about the riots and protests, but I also was trying to understand the disgust and anger that the black community was feeling and why BLM exists. My mind was flooded with questions and, as a white person, I felt the desire, responsibility and need to try to understand the other side of this.

I reached out to my friend Sabrina, who is African-American, to ask her about BLM and how she felt about everything that unraveled over the weekend. I was hoping her perspective would not only help me better understand the BLM movement, but understand why I should keep supporting it.

How do you feel about the recent events that took place in Milwaukee? Do you think they challenge the credibility of BLM?

Sabrina: Disheartened. While I understand their pain and follow the reasoning behind their actions, I do not condone their behavior. Like them, I know that things need to change, but this isn’t the way to do it. These people are acting out because they feel that this is the only way to get the public's attention in order to bring about change. However, rioting and burning down the buildings within your own community is only adding fuel to flame. I would say that their actions are definitely putting the credibility of the Black Lives Matter movement into question. However, as far as I’m aware, these recent events have not been condoned, sponsored nor supported by the BLM movement. But unfortunately, it is this movement — a movement that is not merely against police brutality among the black community, but a movement that simply strives for the same basic human rights among all citizens — that is taking the hit for the reckless actions of others.

In your opinion, what is the responsibility of the white community when riots happen? What is the responsibility of the black community?

Sabrina: On either end of the spectrum the most important thing that I can say is that silence is compliance. Whether you are a member of the white community or the black community, whether you agree or disagree with their methods, nothing will change while you sit back and watch. If you are a member of the black community and you do not support the actions that are being taken, say something. Do something. Even if it’s just a Facebook post, share your thoughts; tell your fellow brothers and sisters that this is not the way to do things. More importantly, if you were a member of the white community and believe that things need to change, you need to let your voice be heard as well. I have talked to many people who think that just because they are white, that this isn’t their fight. They see what’s happening but feel that they do not have the right to speak up because they are not the ones experiencing the injustice. And all I can say is that every voice matters.

If you could tell BLM activists anything, what would it be?

Sabrina: Seeing as I consider myself to be a Black Lives Matter activist, I would keep it simple: be smart. Know that the Malcolm X style of fighting isn’t going to get us very far and as frustrating as it may be, we cannot afford to be reckless in situations such as these. We have seen time and time again that people will continue to find a reason to make us out as the bad guys, so don’t give them one.

How does it make you (and the black community) feel when the media describes protestors and rioters as “thugs” or “those people”?

Sabrina: It’s irritating, it’s unfair and it’s unjust. The media likes to assume that we, people of the black community, all fit in this one tiny box. That we all lack individuality and that we somehow believe that every single white person on the planet is out to get us. But, despite popular opinion, that is not the case. I feel that I can have unique perspective on this because being biracial; I am just as much white as I am black. Unfortunately, that’s not how people or the media sees me. They don’t see me as a white black lives matter activist; they see me as a black one. They don’t see me as a young college educated student who grew up in a white middle-class family, but, for lack of a better term, as a thug or a ghetto hoodlum that is only interested in putting the value of my life above others when I say that “black lives matter.” But quite frankly, the color of my skin does not matter; I am simply a human being that believes everyone is born with the right to be treated equally and fairly no matter his or her race, sexuality, social class, financial standing or upbringing.

I am saddened that we face the reality that the shootings, riots and protests will not end here. I am also upset that I even have to ask my friend these types of questions. However, I am glad I did. I’ve always been taught that if you do not fully understand something, ask and listen until you do. I urge people, no matter your race, to ask questions and try to understand the other sides to such a powerful issue. We will not overcome the obstacles that have been created if we do not reach out to one another. As Sabrina said: every voice matters.

To read more about the events that took place in Milwaukee visit: CNN