The Truth About Being A Music Major

The Truth About Being A Music Major

It's not all happy melodies.
131

The beginning of my semester was really rough. As a music major, I've always had a crazy schedule. But man this first week of school was a whole new realm. My semester schedule changed probably about 10 times and I did not have an official schedule until the Thursday (yes, THURSDAY) of the first week of school. I'll probably be at school for 20 hours a week, and that doesn't even include meetings, recital hours, and practicing.

Being a music major just kind of sucks sometimes. It eats up all of your time. It isn't unlikely to be at school from eight in the morning until five in the afternoon. If you have any free time, you're doing something wrong. You have to spend that time practicing or studying or finishing assignments. Don't even get me started on trying to find a job.

It is like we can't have our own lives. Sure, I go out with friends...to concerts or performances we have to attend. I need to make money and have a job, but it's practically impossible with my schedule. And let's not forget sleep has to fit in there somewhere. Oh, and eating is important.

I mean really there is so much work involved in being a music major. I don't understand why people STILL think we just play music and that it's an easy degree. Music majors are the first to arrive on campus and the last to leave. Our "easy" degree requires hours of practicing and studying. It's also super competitive.

It doesn't even seem worth it half the time. I'm so tired of not being able to find a job or practicing two hours a day and still not feeling prepared. I'm tired of altering my schedule to fit rehearsals and extra meetings. I could've done something that didn't leave me so stressed and frustrated. I could've found a degree or profession that didn't claim all of my time. But, I didn't. I chose music.

I chose music because I love it. I love everything about it. I love to learn about it and play it and listen to it. Even in the little free time I get, I find myself still working on my music. I can't wait until the day I get to go out and practice my degree. Although the major doesn't feel worth it right now, I know it will be. Doing what I get to love every single day is going to be the most rewarding experience. I'm going to get a paycheck for doing my favorite thing in this world, that's insane!

So, I guess I can deal with this hectic schedule a little longer. Maybe I can't find any free time, but at least my time is being spent working on something I love to do.