Truth Is, I Don't Know

Truth Is, I Don't Know

I don't know what I want to do after college, but thats okay.
50

When you were little, I'm sure you can remember being asked, "What do you want to be when you get older?" The more I grew up, the more realistic I got with an idea of what I would want to do with the rest of my life. I started college with the burning desire to achieve what I set forth to accomplish in my mind, but I still get asked, "So, what do you want to do after college?" I always seem to answer something cliche such as, "Move to New York in search for journalism opportunities," but in actuality, I still have no idea what I want to do. What do I want to pursue with a degree in journalism? Do I even want to pursue a job? What if I want to build my own empire? What if I just want to live in the present and not have to worry?

When I first began my college journey, I was a Cell and Molecular Biology major (what was I thinking?), but shortly thereafter I switched to Mass Communications with a concentration in News and Editorial Journalism. I started to figure everything out all over again—planning for internships, extracurriculars, searching for jobs and beginning to network. However, the more I seemed to plan out my future, the more, "What do you want to do after college?" questions I would get, making me truly wonder what I want to do after college.

Writing is something I am extremely passionate about—I know that for sure. Does that necessarily mean that I want to move to a crowded city and leave the year-round warmth of Florida? Of course not. To be honest, I don't see New York in the future for me. But I am tired of letting the future terrorize my present. As a student, the end goal is to get my degree and start my life. I must first start with my present and focus on what I am working with now rather than add another item on my list of things to stress over.

The truth is, I don't know what I want to do with my life, and that's okay. I'm a firm believer in "going with the flow" and that's what I've been starting to do. Of course, I'm going to work my butt off to end up wherever I end up, but I'm no longer worried about where that place is. Journalism degrees can get you a job in magazines and newspapers but also within teaching, advertising and web management. I don't know where I'll be or what I'll be doing five years from now, but I know what I want to do. I know my strengths and weaknesses and I'm hopeful that my skill set will be able to guide me and pave the way to a road of excellence.