The Truth About Twins

The Truth About Twins

Pay special attention to point number three

46
The Truth About Twins
The Huffington Post

I'm 21 years old, so I would say that I have good bit of experience being a twin. I also have a good bit of experience being ask a myriad of questions about being a twin. I thought I’d compile a list of the most frequently asked questions and answer them right now. Think of me as your guide into the, for what many somewhat believe is the mysterious life of twins, and give you all the information you need. I might also be saving you from asking some seriously embarrassing questions, and I know I’ll save many a twin from having to answer them ever again.

We can’t read each other’s minds. As cool as the ability to read someone else’s mind would be, this simply isn’t a thing. I don’t know why it started or who started it, but I’m sure that twins everywhere wouldn’t mind kicking that person in the leg. As silly as this one is, it can be a problem. People want so badly to believe that it’s a thing, which can make things tricky. If my sister and I are asked very simple questions, we’re likely to answer at the same time, which leads people to think that we’re reading each other’s minds. To avoid this, we’ve tried to have one person answer all the questions, but this causes people to label us. They’ll be like “So you’re the quiet twin and you’re the talkative one.” Being labeled as the one who never talks isn’t any more fun than constantly being asked what my sister is thinking.

We don’t finish each other’s sentences. If anyone spends a great deal of time with another person this is bound to happen. I have had friends who do this with each other so why this became a twin related thing, I don’t know. We know each other well, so we may occasionally do it on accident, but we don’t go around constantly finish each other’s sentences all the time.

WE ARE NOT THE SAME PERSON. If you learn only one thing from this piece, make sure it’s this point. We are not the same person. We are two completely different individuals. I have had people tell me that since me and my sister are twins we can share. What does that have to do with anything? You don’t want to share with your sibling? Why should I share with mine because we’re the same age? I like being a twin, but constantly being lumped together with one person isn’t fun. It makes you feel like you don’t have your own identity. Having someone tell you that they see you and your sister as a “package deal” or as the same person isn’t something anyone wants to hear.

We don’t like being called twins, twin, the twins, etc. I don’t know why this is such a hard concept for people to grasp. I’ve spent a good deal of my life having people think it’s okay not to learn my name because I’m a twin. I’m not sure where that logic comes from, but if you wouldn’t do it to anyone else then kindly don’t do it to me. I’d rather you call me my sister’s name or an entirely wrong name than just call me twin.

We can’t feel each other’s pain. People seem very disappointed when I say that I can’t feel my sister’s pain, I’ve often had people hit me in the arm to try and see if I’m lying, which by the way never do to twins if you meet them. I’m honestly very glad that this myth about twins isn’t true because my sister is very clumsy and I wouldn’t want to be sitting in class when she fell outside our sorority house and suddenly be grabbing my leg in pain. That would led to a very inconvenient life.

We can tell each other apart. Yes I’ve been asked this question. I’ve been asked how me and my sister now which one of us is which, and I’ve been asked if I can tell myself a part of my sister. I’m not sure what else to say on this point besides don’t ever ask a twin this question unless you want them to think that you’re not the brightest person in the world.