Trump's Budget Will Be Detrimental To Nations Facing Famine

Why aren't we all more upset?

7
My Container Garden

Transitioning into a new presidency brings what seems to be a lot of political chaos, and as Trump closes out his first 100 days, there are so many things to be said of his actions and statements. Promises broken as well as inappropriate behavior top the list, and his big actions with regard to immigration and proposed budget reforms have not gone unnoticed. But in reading a recent article by the Washington Post, concern comes to my mind at what Trump is letting go of and not taking note of in his choices and actions, particularly with regard to foreign aid in his budgetary plans coming forward.

The article I read was astonishing, and I think the topic that it addresses is one that we’ve all addressed and shared concern over- famine and the way it strikes the countries of Africa. But in recent months it seems to have gone without much recognition.

The United Nations won’t recognize a food shortage as a famine in a country unless it meets certain parameters and certain death tolls. One is about to be declared in South Sudan. Three other countries, Somalia, Nigeria and Yemen, could follow the same pattern.

I feel as though this is something that is common knowledge, that countries like these struggle with food shortages and poverty as their governments change and go through difficult scenarios year after year. I’m not expert in this region of the world by any means, but when I hear about kids and families dying because they don’t have any food, I feel almost powerless from an ocean away as to what I can do to help.

And then I hear about the President (sorry, still not ready to say “our”) and his stances, and I’m feeling more powerless in the face of this evil of famine. Trump is eager to cut foreign aid to countries around the world, not continue to provide it in the way that the Obama administration did, how that will impact this region, and how this could prove to be detrimental to these nations and the state of their children and families.

The United Nations organization titled OCHA, or the Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, needs 4.4 billion dollars to help pull these countries back up onto their feet with regard to these food shortages, and they need it by July. It isn’t looking good now that this will happen. Why? Because the US is a major leader in foreign aid and providing the necessary funds to nations like these that are struggling. With the Trump budgets cuts proposed, if Congress approves them, this aid won’t come in. With only about 10 percent raised so far, it isn‘t looking like it will happen.

First off, I’m thinking, “Are you kidding me?” He’s going to cut the budget or change it enough that we’re going to let people starve? How can this happen and how can anyone with decency, on either side of the aisle, not see the mistake in this and stand for a change that makes an impact like this one?

And secondly, I’m wondering why it took a random article I read from a Bloomberg email newsletter for me to hear about this. Why isn’t this making bigger news? People are starving and multiple famines could be declared, and yet we seem to be sitting idle?

So here’s my call to action- To Mr. Trump, if you’re truly a president of the people, or the American people at least, can’t you see that those struggling with food shortages are just like us, just kids, families, parents and hard workers from a different part of the world who need our help? There must be a place for humanity and a sense of compassion in the policy produced by your administration, and it’s hard to even accept your office without seeing that. I ask that you reconsider any measures for budget adjustments in your proposed plan that cut aid to these countries who are falling into a downward spiral of famine. Get them the help they need if you are truly a president for the people.

And more than a call to action, my question to everyone who seriously voted for this guy is where is your humanity? It’s something I’ve asked before, but now we get into the serious trouble he could cause- with someone like this in office who can’t think through a policy enough to see its impact and how it will hurt a valuable and large part of humanity, we’re going to get nowhere and likely move backwards. I’m not a foreign aid expert, but I’m at least smart enough to know that the leader of the free world should find it in his top priorities to lend a hand to those in need globally who can’t help themselves- it’s honorable, justified, and something, as a nation who leads the charge in making global changes, we ought to do. Making America Great Again, whatever that means, isn’t just about how great we feel about life inside our borders- it’s about our pride in the way we take care of the countries less fortunate than we are and how we lead, stand as diplomatic role models, and improve lives around the world.

But hey, it’s been my experience in these past 100 days that Trump really isn’t one we can count on to put people and humanitarian values first- what with his nonchalance in the face of nuclear threats and near outright Muslim ban- so it’s best we unite as private humanitarians. If you have the time or money to support the organizations or NGOs that do, I hope you will.

And if you can’t, call on your legislators to stand up and defend people just like us overseas, because famine does not deserve a place in any country, because every kid and parent deserves to survive and eat, and because the lack of humanitarianism in the top political office in the world should not hold back masses of people everywhere that, I believe firmly, don’t wish to neglect these nations. It’s simply un-American.

Special thanks to the Washington Post for the information and inspiration for this article. Read more here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opi...