Trump's First 100 Day Plan

Trump's First 100 Day Plan

Personal reactions to President-elect Trump's proposed Day One executive orders.

21
Trump's First 100 Day Plan

Without a doubt, it’s a little interesting that Donald Trump uses twitter to communicate important information to the public. On November 21, just before 6:00 p.m., @realDonaldTrump tweeted out a two minute 38-second video clip updating the people on policy plans for the first 100 days of his term. Trump asked his transition team to create a list of executive actions he could make on Day 1 to start the long process of making America great again.

1. Issue a notification of intent to withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership

According to the Trans-Pacific Partnership website, the TPP writes the rules for global trade—rules that will help increase Made-in-America exports, grow the American economy, support well-paying American jobs, and strengthen the American middle class. Reading over the website, and skimming the entire text of the agreement, I was convinced that the partnership was a great idea for our country. It protects workers, promotes trade, and gives small business a chance to prosper overseas. These points won me over almost immediately. So, it was a little confusing to me at first to find out that Donald Trump wants to do away with this partnership on Day One of his term. So, I did some research.

I went right to the Economic Policy Institute for information. What I found first was that the TPP is estimated to have cut over 2 million jobs in America in 2015 alone. For a policy that is built on the notion that American jobs would be protected, that information is a little unsettling.

Trump has not yet given us an exact plan for what is to come instead of the TPP. However, he has outlined his goals to protect the American worker by "negotiating fair, bilateral trade deals that bring jobs and industry back onto American shores."

2. Cancel restrictions on the production of American energy

On May 26, 2016, Donald Trump spoke to North Dakota about the production of American energy. And, he outlined his 100-day plan concerning it. Trump has claimed that America has more natural resources than other OPEC states. His goal is to become, and stay, totally independent of any need to import energy from OPEC. Then, we will use the revenue from energy production to roads, schools, bridges, and public infrastructure. And, he wants to tackle real environmental problems, like the need for clean drinking water.

Donald Trump is promising to put America first by creating jobs at home and removing ourselves from reliance on the OPEC countries. This sounds promising to me, so hopefully it works out.

3. Reduce Regulations

I think it's hard for me, as a college student, to fully understand regulations on our business world. Having worked several jobs before, I recognize that there are a lot of rules and regulations, and they are sometimes annoying to follow. According to the Wall Street Journal on April 7, 2016, President Obama has issued almost 400 new regulations since he has taken office. And, they each have cost the American government about $100 million. I tried to stay unbiased in my research, however, I did find in a Trump press release on September 15, 2016 that over regulation costs the average household over $15,000. Since that information came from his website, take it or leave it. I'm believing it, though, because if Donald Trump knows one thing, he knows business, and I can't overlook his successes.

One way he is going to reduce regulations is to ask all Department heads to submit a list of every wasteful and unnecessary regulation which kills jobs, and which does not improve public safety, and eliminate them. He plans to keep jobs and wealth in America.

4. Protect America's Infrastructure

To learn more about Trump's plan to protect infrastructure, I turned to The Hill, one of my personal favorite news sources. They outlined 5 things they thought everyone should know about Trump's plan.

First, his plan requires support from the private sector because it will not be funded by the state's governments. Private investors will receive tax credits in return for backing the infrastructure projects. He is doing this because he has determined that things get done faster in the private sector. Second, critics say that private investors usually only say "yes" when there is an opportunity for their investment to create a return. Highways aren't going to create a revenue without tolls, so it is not likely that private investors will support this plan. Third, there is no strong plan to how Trump plans to go about picking up the pace of construction projects. He does want to streamline permitting and approvals, improve the project delivery system, and cut wasteful spending, though. Fourth, he predicts that the plan will pay for itself. This would work because the taxes from the newly employed workers would offset the tax credits granted to the private investors. And, finally, fifth, Trump recognizes that his plan is far from finalized as is open to new ideas from anyone, including democrats.

5. Investigate abuses of visa programs

Interestingly enough, there was no mention of building a wall in these six executive orders Trump plans to make on Day One. I was interested, though, in more details about visa programs in the United States. I learned a little bit about the H1-B Visa. It gives workers from other countries the chance to come to the States to work. This might be the type of visa Trump is talking about when he mentions "visa programs which undercut the American worker."

At first, I was a little afraid because I have a lot of friends from overseas that I have met while working at a summer camp in Wisconsin. They work there, too, through a program called Camp America. Thankfully, they use a J1 visa, which allows students to come here for cultural or educational purposes. Since Camp America counselors are teaching their cultures at the camp they work at and then are granted an additional 30 days to experience our culture after summer camp ends, they fit under this visa. I couldn't find many details about how this investigation would work, but I really hope it doesn't affect the J1 visa applicants.

I haven't made a personal decision on this topic yet, besides the J1 visa holders, because I don't know too much about it. This will require a lot more research on my end to see the pros and cons for each different type of visa out there.

6. Impose lobbying bans

I'm guessing this means he isn't going to hire former lobbyists onto his cabinet?? It's been said over and over again that Trump is going to drain the swamp of Washington. Personally, I'm still waiting to see that happen. With a few lobbyists still getting some attention during this transition period, It's hard for me to see the end on this goal.

Also, although I personally see lobbyists as annoying (probably due to my bad personal lobbying experience), I also clearly see how they are an integral part of democracy. We are all allowed to voice our opinions and form our own groups. A lobbyist is someone who is going to speak up for your group and try to get people in power to support the group and enact some of the group's goals into law. It's hard to get rid of them because it feels like its basically their job to not go away. If Trump manages this, I'll be impressed. However, I'm not sure I fully understand why this is one of his first six executive actions.

So far, what I'm hearing is that good things are coming. I look forward to the day this all happens.