Truth Is, All Trump Has Done Is Make America Hate Again

I accept and understand that you may have different opinions, but please respect mine too.

990

A feat that was thought nearly impossible. Almost every poll reported that it was a clear win for Hillary Clinton. Yet, the day of the election many Trump supporters found themselves overjoyed.

I remember that day very clearly. It was incredibly late on a school night but there was no way that I could go to bed. I was sixteen years old and terrified for the future. Whoever won, I was aware that it would be an interesting, but tough four years. I remember not being particularly fond of Hillary, but I strongly opposed (and still do) Donald Trump.

I want to point out that I try to be very respectful about different political opinions, I feel like there is something to learn from everyone. I find it difficult to do that in this case. I will attempt to look at it from both angles, regardless.

I am outraged. Outraged by the reality of his presidency.

A man with zero qualification in regards to politics, no experience in the field, and ultimately a failed businessman. One can argue that it's very elitist of me to believe that someone who went to school or has experience with politics should be the only people with access to the White House. I argue that it is important that whoever occupies the oval office should have education on the very thing he was elected to do, lead the country. A degree doesn't make one better than anyone else, but it indicates a formal education, which I believe is fair to ask for when put in the highest position of power in the United States.

I firmly believe that Donald Trump's views do not coincide with what the Republican party was before. This poses the analysis of how much the GOP has changed since he announced the beginning of the campaign. I believe that before Trump, and even Obama, ran the White House, Republicans and Democrats were different in some ways, but never with this aggression and blatant disrespect for one another.

"Respect," is a word that Trump doesn't seem to be too familiar with. It seems like he doesn't know when he is being severely disrespectful. For example, when he attacked the disabled reporter; More recently, when he mocked Christine Blasey Ford. Whatever your position, Republican, Democrat or Libertarian, we can agree that mocking people on Twitter or in rallies is poor taste...

... or not.

Which brings me to my next point and what I believe to be the worst part of Trump´s presidency. I believe he has not "made America great again," but he has made it OK to be hateful again. I think this incessant bullying and obvious racism has only enabled those who have believed these things but knew it was bad to express it. This attitude and distaste towards minorities or just those who are different is so prevalent. Donald Trump has taken a large part is encouraging this.

He made it OK to oppress people again.

He made it OK to hurt those who are different.

He made it OK to be racist and proud.

He made it OK to be shamed for being an abuse victim.

He made it OK to hate on the right to free speech.

He made it OK to be narrow-minded.

Don't get me wrong, I am positive that there have always been people like this but never out in the open. He exposed this great issue and frankly, it's depressing.

It's depressing to know that there are people who are this vicious towards others. I think this norm of being so distasteful towards each other and it needs to stop.

This is the reality of what we face in this country. It´s up to us to change it. Political science major or not, Democrat or not. It is imperative we see the harm of this administration and hope to change our country for the better.