What Donald Trump Doesn't Understand About Mexican-Americans

President Trump, I Am Mexican But I'm Not A Drug Dealer, Criminal, Or Rapist

From a Mexican college student that wants to succeed and make it in life, I'd like you to know that I am not a "drug dealer, criminal, or a rapist."

1022

Dear Mr. President, I am not, in your words, a drug dealer, criminal, or a rapist. I'd like you to understand a few things.

1. I wasn't born in this country, but this country became my home.

I first moved to the United States when I was 10 years old. I was enrolled in the sixth grade and did not speak a word of English. Yeah, some kids bullied me, but who doesn't face bullying in the sixth grade? Besides that, everyone has been really nice and welcoming to me ever since I moved here.

All my friends, my professors, and my acquaintances are all from different backgrounds and different "colors." No one has seemed to mind that I wasn't born here, and it shouldn't bother anyone. "Diversity is what makes America great again." Diversity is what makes America. I love Mexico with all my heart and I will never forget it, but I am currently a freshman at Arizona State University and I'd like to make this country my home for life. I will finish my bachelor's degree, perhaps grad school after that, and I will marry the love of my life and I will live here for the rest of my life.

2. I have an accent because English isn't my first language and I speak three languages.

Like I said before, I was born and raised in Mexico. I spent 10 years of my life in Mexico and only spoke Spanish over there. I learned English because I had to learn English in order to succeed in the sixth grade. For a better life, and for a future that it is not offered in Mexico. As a president, you should not ruin a 10-year-old's dreams and for her to be scared of someone running the country, she'd like to spend the rest of her life in. I have an accent because English isn't my first language. I tried to learn French and took French classes all throughout high school because it is an essential skill for us in America to speak more than one language since we are such a diverse country.

3. My Mexican father is the most hardworking and successful man I know. 

My dad is 54 years old. He first moved to the United States when he was 20 years old. He would leave his wife and his first two kids in order for them to have a roof and food to eat. He would go back and visit. He is the most successful man I know without a college education, who's also very educated without perfect English. He succeeded in life when he brought his family to this country to give them an education and a future that he didn't have. He went from working full-time and part-time jobs for almost 20 years until he made his dream possible of giving a better life to his family. He could not afford nice things for me, but he gave me all the love in the world and a residency card in order for me to achieve them all on my own and that means the world to me. My Mexican father gave me the world.

4. I take my education very seriously and obtained a full ride scholarship to college.

I can speak on behalf of my family and all my Mexican roots, that we have all dreamed of getting a college education. It wasn't possible for my parents or my older siblings since they grew up and achieved their futures in Mexico. It was possible for me, I am a first-generation college student and obtaining my bachelor's degree and I'm not stopping there. I have taken my education and my future very seriously since the very first day I moved to this country and I proudly say that I obtained a full ride to Arizona State University. I graduated with honors and was in the top 10% of my senior class. I was in the National Junior Honor Society and the National Honor Society with my broken English, but I made it.

5. Mexicans are the hardest working group of people I know.

No, we are not "drug dealers," "criminals," or "rapists." Mexicans are the hardest working group of people I know and we are trying to give our family a better life. Mostly everyone in Arizona has some Mexican roots and because of those Mexicans, we have all the Latino population I know. Both Mexican dads and moms, don't have a college education but they are the hardest workers I know. I can't speak for all Mexicans but at least the ones that I know, are considered lower-class. They came to this country with nothing, but have given their kids a better life.

I am not a drug dealer, criminal, or a rapist.

I do not identify as any of the terms you have mentioned above.

I and millions of other Hispanics feel harassed and targeted by your choice of words that you use to stereotype Mexicans.

I have never met a racist American down here at Arizona State University, and the only racist person I have ever heard of is you. Home isn't defined by borders or territory lines, but where you have planted your own roots. I have planted my roots here in the United States of America and would like to live my life here, feeling safe and not harassed or stereotyped by our president.