The Trump Conflict With Christianity
Politics

The Trump Conflict With Christianity

Why I am of the minority.

24
The Trump Conflict With Christianity
CNN News

When I was 12 years old, just days before the 2008 election, many of my friends were talking about who their parents were voting for. My parents were fiercely Republican at the time, voting Sen. McCain over then-Sen. Obama. They told me back then that they didn't see Obama as a leader and someone with experience ready for the demanding job that the office demands. As we all know, Barack Obama became the 44th President and has led the country for the last 7.5 years.

As I've gotten older, one thing that has remained true was my commitment to God. Yes, I have been far from perfect. It has even been more difficult for me in college. But, I have learned that I am close to God when I have strong leaders in my life. Thankfully, my parents have provided that constantly. But, mentors and other Christian leaders who were able to make an impact set me up for a closer walk and more purposeful life with God.

This brings me to my qualm with the 2016 election. According to a Pew research study, 78 percent of evangelical Christians are supporting and will vote for Donald Trump this November. Naturally, you would expect that this pronounced group (approximately 95 million in the U.S.) would be looking for a man or woman with integrity, character and a leader that would represent our country well. You would expect me, as the author, to be mathematically supporting Trump with these statistics. But I am one of the 22 percent.

In this piece, I will not be advocating for Hillary Clinton, Gary Johnson or Jill Stein as an alternative. I do not know who I will be voting for in my first election come November, but one thing I know for sure, it will not be a bubble for Trump.

I hope to lay out the contrasts in the Christian message, the Gospel that the Bible teaches and the message that Donald Trump has used to become the Republican nominee for President. The points that he boasts are central to his campaign and the man himself. This is why as Christians, we should flee from Donald J. Trump.

Trump And Pride

As we now know from watching Trump in the last 13 months, Trump himself is a bombastic, individualistic and of course very wealthy man. But to understand Trump and his prominence to the Trump we know today, one must know how he really got to the place he is today.

Trump according to Politifact inherited somewhere between $100-300 million from his father, Fred Trump. It is most likely on the lower end of that figure, but because of the dealings of the company that Fred started, it is difficult to peg an exact figure. Yes, he did receive a "small loan of a million dollars," but there was plenty more money to come years later. Additionally, there is no significant success in Trump's career until he inherits the family business in the late 1970's. The notion that he is a "very successful businessman," (The Atlantic) is mostly smoke and mirrors.

If Trump had merely taken his $100 million in the 1970's and invested into an index fund which follows the S&P 500, then you would land at around a $6 billion net worth today (Washington Post). His net worth today is $4.5 billion according to Forbes magazine, a 25 percent shortfall.

Trump has had a history of failed companies: Trump University, Steaks, Water, Airlines, Magazine and multiple Atlantic City Casinos. He has declared bankruptcy on his companies four times, costing jobs and cheating his way out of debt. He has been the subject of around 3,500 lawsuits (USA Today), including 169 federal cases (lawnewz.com). Although not glamorous herself, Hillary Clinton has been involved in around 900 lawsuits total (USA Today), being in the public eye for similar amounts of time.

Trump prided himself, recently, in caring for all Americans during his RNC speech, yet shows time and time again that the workers under him are dirt in his nails.

Trump And Division

I realize that people do not vote for Trump because they think he's a moral guy, someone that they want to emulate. However, the man clearly has an insecurity about his wealth. He has sued multiple times for analysts possibly underestimating his net worth. He brags about the deals he made, the laws he used, to make himself wealthy.

As a Christian, we need to think about the kind of person we want to lead our country. The one that God will use to lead us through another time in history. I can hear the screams of "Crooked Hillary" now. God has not always appointed leaders who follow His lead. Though this is the subject of more writing; Hitler, Mussolini, Qadafi and the like were all used by God to work through His plan. Yes, you can argue Obama is not the leader God would intend. But it was His plan to have him in office these last 7.5 years, and it's our job to follow God's guidance in everything we do, including our vote.

"I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people -- for kings and all those in authority." -- I Timothy 2:1-2a

"And we can't be, again, politically correct and say we pray for all of our leaders." -- Trump (June 21, 2016)

Trump's public vulgarity should have been a red flag for any Christian voter, a sign that the faith he so brandishes is not the truth on the inside. Max Lucado, a prominent pastor, has been critical of Trump in a blog post titled "Decency for President."

"Mr. Trump is in a league of his own. 'It is out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks,' Jesus said. Let speech befit the call. We, as Christians, would do well to summon any Christian leader to a higher standard. This includes pastors (especially this one[Max Lucado]), teachers, coaches and, by all means, presidential candidates...perhaps the American public will remember the key role of the president: to be the face of America. When he/she speaks, he/she speaks for us."

Trump continually uses phrases that ostracize the less fortunate of our society. Unfortunately, our country still deals with a systematic race problem, pronounced by those who still believe in the higher intelligence and capability of a white European race. We see it in the police shootings, the red lining in large cities, the unequal access to good K-12 education and beyond. Therefore, we need a president, a leader and representative of this country, who will show that we are United, not divided. Compassionate, not fearful.

"Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States." -- Trump (December 7, 2015)

"For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me...whatever you did for the least of these, you were doing to me (Jesus)." -- Matthew 25:35-36,40 NLT

God's Word is true yesterday, today and forever. It never fails to cease meaning. It never fails to be relevant.

Trump And Fear

The Trump campaign has built a platform out of fear for the unfortunate. ISIS, terrorism and illegal immigration are all problems that face our country. We can fear and cower away and hope that a strongman will "restore law and order" (RNC Speech, June 21, 2016). But this thinking is futile.

Rick McDaniel, a pastor out of Richmond, VA, wrote this post about Faith over Fear in 2014:

"As fear begins to take hold of our lives security becomes our god. Our true god really is security and safety. We seek out the safest thing, the safest place, the most secure feeling. But God never placed you on this earth to be safe. He placed you on this earth for a great adventure of how God is going to work in your life. And you will miss out on so much that God has for you if you try to build safety walls, if you try to hunker down into your bunker and make everything safe. You cannot create security and safety for yourself as hard as you may try...we seem to forget all the good things God has done."

And I would say, it's easy for us to forget the amazing God we worship.

The only One I know who can restore law and order is Christ, and it will be done in the future. Fear is not from God -- 118 times, some version of "Don't fear" is mentioned in the Bible, along with 125 statements about "Love others" (McDaniel). Clearly, these two themes are important and themes that Trump is far from representing:

"I'd bring back a hell of a lot more than just waterboarding." -- Trump (February 6, 2015)

"They're (Mexican immigrants) bringing crime, drugs, they're rapists." -- Trump (June 16, 2015)

"The President...has made America a more dangerous environment for everyone." -- Trump (July 21, 2016)

Yet, he mentions that there is no way to screen these refugees. So how will he know who supports our values? Does this sound like a man who is confident in his identity? One who does not fear the changing tides of our world?

Trump And Character

Trump has claimed to be a honest and so-called religious man:

"I will present the facts plainly and honestly...here at our convention, there will be no lies." -- Trump (July 21, 2016)

"I'm so on your side (evangelicals). I'm a tremendous believer, and we're gonna straighten it out." -- Trump (June 21, 2016)

"Trump has claimed to be 'very religious,' but yet, said he has 'never sought forgiveness'." (Family Leadership Summit, July 2015)

Additionally, Trump has been married 3 times, having bragged about his many affairs in the past. (Found in his book, The Art of the Comeback)

Politifact.com ran a test of Trump's statements since the campaign started, on a basis of Pants on Fire Liar to True:

So why do my fellow evangelicals support him?

According to the Pew Research Center, 41 percent of evangelicals say it has been harder for them to be Christian in the U.S. in recent years, and only 10 percent say it's been easier. Trump says statements like "Christianity is under siege. Every year it gets weaker and weaker" and people relate (February 2016). He wants to bring Merry Christmas back in stores and evangelicals have been "silenced in the pulpits."

"An amendment, pushed by Lyndon Johnson, many years ago, threatens religious institutions with a loss of their tax-exempt status if they openly advocate their political views...I am going to work hard to repeal that language." -- Trump (RNC Speech, July 21, 2016)

That claim according to the Daily Beast writer David Cay Johnston is just a plain lie:

"Here’s what the Johnson amendment said: Religious organizations — which by definition include churches, synagogues and mosques — are free to declare their beliefs. One can urge a Constitutional amendment banning all abortion, another can preach that abortion is a woman’s right and others anything in between...there is good reason for this. It means that Trump supporters are not forced by Congress to subsidize donations to Hillary Clinton and Clinton supporters are not subsidizing donations to Trump."

The Summary

I understand the struggles of modern day Christians in America. It is true that our voice is not as respected as it once was. We do not influence popular culture like we once did. Our views are in the minority. As of 2014, 22.4 percent of Americans identified as "no religion," which is up from 8.4 percent in 1990 (Pew Research Center).

But we can not pretend that the solution to this inevitable issue is to support a man who is the definition of a hypocrite: "to say one thing and do another."

Seeding division and mistrust in the name of political correctness is not appropriate and it is not right.

Pastors, Christian leaders and influencers in their community need to take ownership and stand up to the bully. Trump does not represent the values of America and certainly not the Bible.

"I urge you, brothers and sisters, to keep an eye on those who cause dissensions and offences, in opposition to the teaching that you have learned; avoid them.For such people do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the simple-minded. For while your obedience is known to all, so that I rejoice over you, I want you to be wise in what is good and guileless in what is evil." -- Romans 16:17-19

I don't have an answer for my fellow evangelical voters on what their choice should be come November. What I do know is we should flee from the hypocrites that pollute the Gospel that we hold to. I realize Hillary is corrupt, Gary Johnson and Jill Stein have little chance, and not voting feels wrong.

However, I believe that God has a plan for our great country. It is still a great country and as a body of believers, we can still be the light that people are yearning for.