True Life: I'm A List Maker (And It's Awesome)

Discover a new way to make lists!

13

During the semester I am always scribbling away, writing lists so I can stay organized and productive. I have a daily planner with a calendar for the days of the month and the individual days. I use different color pens to write down the different meetings I have for each day of the week. For the daily tasks, I write in the normal day spot.

However, when I decided to sit down to figure out how much I really do need to finish, I write out a list. Post-It notes or scraps of paper, whatever I can find. Honestly, once I have everything written down, I kind of want to crawl into my bed with a good book and forget about life.

Since those list are so overwhelming, I also use different color pens. For example, I would use red for items due that day, orange for something due the next day and so on. That helps my mind break down and prioritize all of my tasks.

The last kind of list I make is with the sticky note app on my computer. Putting a sticky note on your laptop screen is available for both Mac and Windows computers. You can make each note a different color and different sizes, so I use each note for something different. Since these lists are on computer, some common kinds of lists to make are for TV show, movies and music you want view later. I however also make lists of thing I have to use my laptop for, like something I want to remember to research later

Since I'm always looking to improve myself, I did research on known ways to make a more productive to-do list. From themuse.com, co-founder and COO Alex Cavoulacos shared a rule called the 1-3-5 Rule. To narrow your to-do list each day, you "assume that you can only accomplish one big thing, three medium things, and five small things." According to the article by the Daily Muse Editor, this will help you accomplish what really needs to get done rather than something you would randomly get done.

A while back, I also discovered something that any list maker, like myself, would be eager to try out. It is called the Bullet Journal. It is a revolutionary way to organize your to-do lists. On the website there is a video on the system that artist Ryder Carroll designed.

Not only can you can use it as a to-do list but also as a diary or notebook filled with doodles. There are tons of ways people have personalized it and can be found online. The best thing is you can use any notebook that works for you. If you're interested in making one, the website has detailed information on how to make one on the get started page.I'm definitely going to give those two a try!