The Troubles Of A Procrastinating — Chronically — Late Person

Yes, the above headline is the definition of me.

11
Royalty Free Stock Photos

It always starts the same- at least, for me it does.

I always plan on being productive. I wake up and start to plan my day. On some days, I even write in my cute little gold metallic planner I spent like twenty bucks on at Target- (because somehow, I utterly convinced myself I was going to turn my life around and become organized).

I plan what I’ll do and when I’ll do it. Sometimes, I’m successful- but this event is quite rare. Most times, I start off with checking one thing off my “to- do” list, and then from there it’s just an epic fail.

When I’m asked to be somewhere, the sad part is that mostly all my family and friends know that if they want me to be somewhere for sure by a certain time- then they have to give me a “fake” earlier time, so that I’ll actually arrive when I need to.

I’m not sure if my curse of being chronically late is tied in with the fact that I do procrastinate quite often.

Homework that’s due at 11:59 p.m. is usually turned in at 11:58 p.m.- but hey that’s still on time right?

I think my biggest issue is the fact that I always think I have more time than I actually do.

If I wake up an extra thirty minutes for work, then that actually means I have enough time to watch TV, have a nice breakfast and play with the dog- (wrong, because in this event, I usually just end up being less late than I usually am, and the only reason I still have a job is because I like to consider myself a good worker other than my chronic tardiness).

Recently, a friend of mine asked if I would visit her in San Marcos from my hometown. In my head, my perfect game plan was as follows: Wake up around 8 a.m., leave at 9 a.m., arrive by 10:30 a.m., then we could have enough time to spend the day in Austin together with me having enough time to come back home in the same day.

What actually happened that day was this:

I forgot to set my alarm, woke up at like 11 a.m., scrambled around to pack the things I needed, somehow took forever to do it, and left about 1:30 p.m., arriving around 3 p.m. (Let’s just say we definitely didn’t spend the day in Austin, but we still had fun).

This example is closely related to many other days. I plan on being on time, but I don't succeed.

Sometimes, I actually wake up early. I wake up with plenty of time to arrive on time. And then one of the following scenarios will take place- I end up chasing my dog around outside because she won’t come back in, I forget something I need to return home for, or I get stuck behind the slowest tractor in the entire world (yes, a tractor).

Maybe as a procrastinator/ chronically late person, there’s just no saving me. When I do have enough time, I procrastinate by trying to fit more into my schedule because I don’t want to do what actually needs to get done, and when I don’t have enough time- I’m just late as usual.

It’s like you can give a procrastinator such as myself an assignment, and if I don’t want to do it then I’ll just lay in bed and let the assignments just pile on top of each other and I’ll pretend like they don’t exist and this isn’t real life. (That is not an exaggeration).

I'm almost more than sure this is just a phase as a college student and one day I'll know how to be a real adult- and if not, then I'll just be a really bad one.