Tripping On Bricks: The Hit and Run

Tripping On Bricks: The Hit and Run

It isn't everyday you witness a crime, especially a hit and run.

9
Tripping On Bricks: The Hit and Run
Claire Riley

This is one of my most famous NC State stories. I've told it over and over again to just about everyone I meet. If I it wasn't me spreading it around; it was my Dad. I think he told everyone we know.

I had been in school for a little over two months. It was the Thursday night before my second animal science test, and I was stressed. I had not done too hot on the first one so I was determined to put in the study hours so I'd be happier with my grade. My best friend and I had been at the library on the Centennial Campus cramming. For those of you that do not know, NC State is kind of a two part campus. There is the main campus that everyone knows, and there is another part that is a short bus ride down the road. Centennial Campus is mainly for engineering, textile and graduate students. I found myself over there quite often though because it has the nicest library.

Once we'd come to the decision that our brains couldn't take anymore talk of the digestive tracts of cows we decided to head over to our favorite spot for dinner, D.P. Doughs. D.P Doughs is a little hole in the wall restaurant situated midway between both campuses tucked away in a little shopping center. There menu was filled with calzones of all combinations, all extremely delicious and good for a post study meal. We walked the distance, ordered our calzones, and instead of taking our food back to the dorms like we usually did we plopped down at one of their outside tables to enjoy our well earned feast. We laughed as we wrote little study notes on the backs of our calzone boxes desperately trying to retain all the information we could. Eventually at about 10:30 we decided it was time to head home for the night.

The walk from D.P. Doughs back to main campus consist of a steep hill of a road with a side walk on either side. The ground falls down in a hill beyond both sides of the sidewalk as well. My best friend and I were trekking up the right sidewalk when we heard a loud buzzing noise. We stopped talking and looked around in confusion, trying to identify the source of the noise. I looked across the road to the other sidewalk and sure enough I found what I was looking for. A moped was flying up the hill. I kind of laughed and said, "I'm pretty sure you can't ride one of those things on the sidewalk!" We watched as it zoomed along until it got directly across from us where it was abruptly stopped when it collided with a man! The moped and it's rider were thrown in the edge of the street and the pedestrian went spinning down the side of the side walk out of sight.

We stood there, silent, in complete shock. I wasn't even sure if what I had seen actually happened. The driver stood up and pulled his moped from the ground. We could see the victim slowly climbing back up to the sidewalk shouting obscenities all the way. My second reaction, my first being to laugh, was that we had to get out of there. I didn't want to have to give some kind of statement or be involved in any way so I turned to Lexi and said, "We've got to go! We can't be witnesses!" I kid you not, the second the words left my mouth we turned to see a security guard running up behind us. "What just happened? Did he hit that guy? What's going on?" He asked a million questions all at once. I shrugged and shook my head, "I don't know. I think so I wasn't really looking." He didn't wait for any further explanation. He jogged across the street toward the two men.

We watched as the guard checked on the man who had been hit. The driver, never removing his helmet, walked over to them and stuck out his hand in what looked to be an attempted handshake. The man he had hit brushed it off and continued to talk to the guard. Then the driver walked back to his moped and took off! He disappeared around the corner and was completely gone. I decided we should walk down the hill and then back up to see if anything new happened. We didn't want to just stand awkwardly on the other side of the street watching everything unfold, even though that is exactly what we were doing. By the time we made it back, an ambulance and two police cars were on the scene. We practically ran back to campus and busted through the door of my suite. We spilled whole story as my suitemates laughed and shook their heads, "You guys are always there when something crazy happens."

The next day one of my suitemates texted me with the news. The moped driver had been Shadrack Thorton, the running back for our football team. The police had eventually caught up to him, and he had been arrested. A few days later the news report came out featuring pictures on the victims injuries. They were hilariously minor. The most damage I could see were two bandaids around his fingers. We spent the next few weeks correcting gossip and rumors. People said he'd completely run the guy over or the man had been in the road at the time of the incident. Lexi and I were sure to set the record straight.