A Tribute To The First Responders On 9/11

'We will remember every rescuer who died in honor' -- George W. Bush

41
U.S Department of Defense

September 11th, 2001

An ordinary day marked on the calendar for some as a birthday or an anniversary soon turned into the worst terrorist attack in world history and the deadliest attack on domestic soil since December 7th, 1941. September 11th, 2001 claimed the lives of 2,996 people. This statistic includes 343 firefighters, 72 law enforcement officers, 55 military personnel and 2,507 civilians.

These men and women had families to come home to and futures ahead of them. No one woke up September 11th, 2001 with any idea of what this day would become known as to our country. At 8:46 a.m all first responders available were called to the scene of the attack, little did they know it would be the hardest day on the job they had ever seen. Without hesitation, they responded to all the civilians trapped in the towers as they were taught to do. These men and women sacrificed their lives to save others.

"Numerous civilians in all stairwells, numerous burn [victims] are coming down. We're trying to send them down first... we're still heading up" - Capt. Patrick brown, whose company had climbed to the 35th floor of the North Tower a half-hour before the first collapse.

I am certain that America will always remember. Sometimes our hero's go unnoticed. Our firemen and law enforcement officers entered the building that day knowing nothing of what was lying ahead. They followed their commands with courage, valor and dedication. When we think of those words we don't always consider the situations our firemen and law enforcement face each day. Unfortunately every day they walk into work they know nothing of what lies ahead and one call can affect their futures much like the one called in on September 11th.

Irene Smith, whose son was a member of the Fire Department of New York Ladder co. 118 spoke at the memorial, exclaiming, "My son, firefighter Leon Smith Jr., who was the sunshine of my life. He gave his life so that others could live. I love you, I miss you and we’ll meet again soon.”

Irene Smith is one of the many family members suffering from grief fifteen years later. To all our first responders, thank you. Gone but never forgotten.

"Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th. We will remember every rescuer who died in honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the children." - George W. Bush