Why Travis Wall Is An Artistic Genius

Why Travis Wall Is An Artistic Genius

The "Park Bench Dance." Enough said.
24

Any fan of the popular dance show, So You Think You Can Dance, is familiar with the name Travis Wall.

He first appeared on So You Think You Can Dance as a contestant in 2006 during the show's second season at the young age of 18. After astounding judges, fellow contestants, and audiences, Wall placed second in the competition, despite the fact that the judges called him the most technically advanced dancer that season.

Receiving second rather than first on SYTYCD didn't stop Wall. In 2007, he performed regularly with different dance companies, and even made an appearance on Dancing With The Stars. Wall returned to SYTYCD in Season 4 and has since become a primary (and highly sought-after) choreographer for SYTYCD, in addition to dozens of popular dance shows and companies.

For those unfamiliar with Wall's mastery, he is known for his stunning combinations of technique, story, and emotion in his dances. This trio leaves watchers simply begging for more. In many of his dances, Wall uses props; however, unlike some dances with props, his use of items only enhances the dance, rather than draw attention from the skills of the performers. One of Wall's largest gifts is his ability to work with dancers of all ages, ranging from child/teen dance phenomenons such as Maddie Ziegler (from Lifetime's hit dance reality show, Dance Moms) and Sophia Lucia (a highly talented dancer who broke the world record for the most consecutive amount of pirouettes), to adult professionals, such as Tiler Peck (a New York City Ballet principal dancer). Wall seems to not fixate on the age of the dancer, but instead focus on the skills and gifts the dancer possesses.

Needless to say, he has become an absolute star in the dance world. It is because of his immense amount artistic talent that several of his dances have been declared some of the best dances in SYTYCD history, including:

If It Kills Me-performed by Jeanine and Jason in Season 5.

In this duet full of dance perfection, Wall utilized a simple necklace to tell the story of two childhood friends whom have started to become something more. Audience members could hardly contain their happiness as the pair nailed Wall's gorgeously choreographed partner work and lifts.

Where The Light Gets In-performed by the Top 10 female dancers of Season 9

This dance was performed by the Top 10 female dancers of Season 9 and immediately became a fan-favorite. Wall miraculously and seamlessly combined ten completely different dancers into one incredible dance, incorporating dozens of difficult lifts and tricks.

Wicked Game-performed by Wall himself with Season 10 winner, Amy Yakima.

Wall took the stage once more in this dance and showed audiences that he's more than just a spectacular choreographer. He's also a spellbinding dancer. Wall and Yakima made a terrific pair and wowed audiences with their instant chemistry and ability to move together as one, which is what Wall's choreography allowed.

Let It Rock-performed by the Top 8 dancers of Season 5

In Season 5, Wall demonstrated that he is not only skilled in contemporary choreography, but also jazz. His creativity seemed to jump off the screen and challenge the talented Top 8 of Season 5.

The Mirror-performed by J.T. and Robert in Season 13

This season, SYTYCD took a new route; they decided to call this season The Next Generation and make auditions open to children ages eight to thirteen. Naturally, Wall also rerouted his choreography, but did not sacrifice the quality of choreography, something that is proven true in this number. The younger dancer, J.T., is only eight years old, yet Wall still created a number where both artists would be forced to execute emotion that little J.T. may not have been exposed to at this point in his dance career. However, Wall pulled out another incredible number, leaving audiences speechless.

Travis Wall, do the dance world a favor and keep on choreographing.