4 Reasons You Need To Prioritize Travel When You're Still Young

We all need to get away every so often.

79
Meredith Troxel

One of the best things about being young is all the opportunities we have to travel the world. Whether it is the chance to study abroad, or even go for Spring Break or over summer, getting away from classes is the best remedy for cabin fever. All my life, my family and I have gone on many trips across the U.S. and I will now be venturing to Paris with my university for ten days this spring.

Being in a new country is full of wonder, new emotions, and a little jet lag. Traveling allows you to learn so much more about the world. Here is why traveling is one of the most important things that a young adult can do in their lifetime.

1. You get to learn about other cultures

The world is full of different cultures and people. In school I loved learning about other cultures and religions, and I still do. Even in the U.S., there are areas with way different cultures than what you follow. When learning about Paris before I go this March, I found it interesting what they do that seems weird here. In French culture, they eat ice cream with a fork. I will only be caught dead using a fork if no other spoons are clean and there aren't plastic ones.

2. You start to be not as picky with food

A big part of visiting new places is trying the famous food. Whether it's southern barbecue or curry from India, it's best to at least try. A lot of culture revolves around food and their historical dishes. You might find out that you really like a dish or two. If you will try anything, try something strange or something that you'd never buy back home.

3. You get to get away for a while

We all feel cooped up from time to time and just need to get away. So, why not go thousands of miles away to a new country? For a while, you feel like you moved to another country, and eventually start to feel like a new local. Let's be honest, who likes vacationing in their own state? I know I sure don't because I live in one of the biggest vacation areas in Ohio.

4. You learn more about yourself and the world

Traveling increases curiosity and allows you to personally grow. Vacation is the best time to work on personal projects, start working out, read that book series that has been collecting dust on your shelf, and even get a nice tan at the same time. When coming back from a trip, I have the urge to eat healthier, work out, and better myself. Maybe it's the sun? Maybe it's just being able to sit and think for a while?