The U.S Travel Ban is a Death Sentence
Politics

The U.S Travel Ban is a Death Sentence

We should all be concerned for those people who are being cut off from life and the opportunity to thrive.

16
The U.S Travel Ban is a Death Sentence
Religious News Service

After the tragic executive orders made by U.S President Donald Trump, the world has been watching idly. People are reacting in all sorts of ways. Petitions against the travel ban, the Mexican border wall, meetings with world leaders, even the president himself, and all his Cabinet members. Protests happening in various international airports across the states. There is much disgust, dismay and destruction that is apparent due to Trump's recent decisions as President in his first weeks of office. Why should we as U.S citizens be angered? What is this ban and what impact does it have on the people it targets? Here's why we all should care, why we should all speak up for those whom are about to be silenced and put back into environments they fled from in the first place.

This travel ban or more suitably named, the Muslim ban was put in place on January 27th banning travelers from 7 countries that include: Iraq, Syria, Iran, Yemen, Somalia, Libya, and Sudan. People from these said countries are also being deported back home whom are currently residing in the U.S. All of these countries have give or take at least 100,000 internally displaced people, either it be by war, famine, drought, you name it. These people fled their homes in order to find a better life for themselves and their families. They fled to the United States, to find freedom, food, shelter, and safety. Basic needs all humans should have, no matter what race, ethnicity or religion. Those who are not citizens of the United States yet are also harmed by this act, as it raises no mercy on those without proper papers. This tears families apart, as well as relationships the U.S has with these 7 countries. As we close ourselves off to people, we close ourselves off to the world.

According to a video on CNN, Trump states after signing the order that, "[The ban] will keep radical Islamic terrorists our of the United States of America." The problem here is that this is not an implementation that will help our case of rooting out terrorists in America, it only gives way for terrorism to be more rampant. This ban targets the Muslim majority and is directed at them in such a disrespectful and dehumanizing way that it characterizes all Muslims as radical jihadists, which is not at all true. Attacking a religion and its followers and making use of it to solve the problem of terrorism is the most fallacious attempt Mr. President. You attack a very specific group of people, naturally they are bound to fight back or even be resentful towards the ones who put them there. We are solving nothing, only paving a way for hate to bombard the U.S. and all it stands for.

All in all, we should all be concerned for those people who are being cut off from life and the opportunity to thrive. Do not stand by this ban. Do not stand by a man who blames massive groups of innocents for the cruelty of a few. Every single person deserves a chance to make something of themselves, have substantial living conditions and be embraced no matter their origins or religion. Abolish this ban and let these people live.