Love Your body And Yourself By 'Trashing' Your Insecurities

421

Joining a sorority was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The social aspect is a minute benefit. The friendships are a huge asset of sorority life because you form everlasting bonds that can ever be explained. However, the philanthropic aspect is by far the most rewarding. Every organization has different philanthropies, but they all impact someone in a different way. The organization I’m talking about today is one that changed my life and I hope can change yours.

This week, my sorority did an event called Trash Your Insecurities. Different chapters around the nation do Trash Your Insecurities events or something similar because one of our philanthropies is ANAD, the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. The concept of Trash Your Insecurities is that you write an insecurity that you have about yourself on a piece of paper, rip it up and then throw it in the garbage can. You are freeing yourself from thinking that particular insecurity can hold you back. You’re not limited to a single piece of paper by any means, but the act of throwing your insecurity away is relieving you from focusing on that one insecurity about yourself because we all have them. Every single person in this world is insecure about something. Despite the fact that an outsider may view another person as perfect in the true definition of the word, they are not. It is impossible to be perfect although we’re all guilty of holding ourselves to high standards and all strive to reach that impossible goal.

I believe we can create a new definition of perfect. We do not want to be the ideal shape and we do not want to be without flaws. We want to be us. We live in a society where we are constantly comparing ourselves to other people. I’m sure as hell that I’m guilty of doing it myself. Between Instagram, Twitter and Facebook, we are all bombarded with pictures of what we’re “supposed” to look like. Well here’s a reality check for us all, we all can’t look the same. In fact, our flaws are what make each and every one of us unique individuals. Our flaws may even be something that someone else happens to love about us. We live in a Stepford Wives society, but why would we all want to look the same anyway?

I want it to become a routine in our daily lives to throw away something we’re insecure about. Write down something you want to change about yourself and either throw it away or work toward your goal. If you want to eat healthy, you can do it. If you want to work out, you can do it. Set goals for yourself that are attainable. Do what makes you happy. This is just my advice to you because we’re only given one body so we have to treat it well. Love your body. Love yourself.