A Trash-Free Adventure
Politics

A Trash-Free Adventure

My first update on my New Year's resolution to become more eco-friendly

6
A Trash-Free Adventure

Minnesota was “blessed” this year with a somewhat mild winter. While I, my family and friends, and many other may have rejoiced in the mild below zero temps, instead of the intense below zero temps, it is also a very scary sign that our climate is shifting in a dangerous direction-- and quickly at that. I know I am one person, and my actions alone will not save the planet, I have to make an effort and encourage others to do the same. When we work together the bigger change will come. At the end of last year, I wrote an article where I vowed to make a more conscious effort to become more eco-friendly. Here is what I have done, or attempted, so far:

1. Using reusable produce grocery bags

Even though my family was already using reusable grocery bags, I went a step further and purchased some machine washable mesh bags from Amazon. There a few different types out there, but I thought these were the best value for the price-- and I have yet to be disappointed! These bags come in handy when buying a head of Romaine or a bunch of apples. There are even tiny bags for jalapeños and other small produce. By using these bags, I am reducing my plastic bag consumption.

2. Keeping a small reusable bag in my car

This has been the most simple change I’ve made. Whenever I do a small Target run or any other shopping where I’m only buying a few items, I can just bring my bag with me into the store. This has also helped cut down on my plastic bag consumption.

3. DIY body scrub

My sister and I found a really great recipe for a mint scrub that is a great exfoliator and leaves skin smooth with a light minty smell. Making our own scrub is a lot cheaper, plus it cuts out on us buying another product in a plastic tube. I can repurpose the coconut oil and scent jars, and recycle the paper sugar bag!

4. Cooking more meals at home

Since I’m no longer in school, I don’t really have the funky hours of classes all over the place with part-time jobs sandwiched in between. This has made it a lot easier to eat snacks from home on the go, as well as to plan my meals out. By eating my major meals at home I’m saving money and not using plastic silverware and plastic food containers.

5. Shorter Showers

By washing my hair every other day, turning the water off while I shave, and not relishing in the warmth of the water for as long I am reducing my water consumption. I know a hot shower always feels so nice and relaxing after a long day of work, but it not only save my family & I a ton of money, it also saves the environment. We only have so much usable water for human consumption, so why not stretch out this resource a bit more by using less now.