Why I Am Transitioning Into A Zero Waste Lifestyle

Live your values. Don't just post about them.
21

Did you know that the average American produces 4.3 pounds of waste per day? This adds up to over 1,500 pounds a year.

I knew this. I even mentioned these statistics in a presentation for my environmental class last semester. Yet, even with this knowledge and passion about preserving the environment, I still remained wasteful. I recycle, but I still produce large amounts of trash. I always have wanted to compost, but figured it wouldn’t work well in my apartment.

Earlier this summer, I saw this video again on social media:

Lauren Singer, creator of the Trash is for Tossers blog, can literally fit all of her trash from the past few years into a mason jar -- a mason jar! She lives a zero waste lifestyle in New York City. Singer defines “zero waste” on her blog as:

To me, zero waste means that I do not produce any garbage. No sending anything to landfill, no throwing anything in a trash can, nothing. However, I do recycle and I do compost."

Singer emphasizes the importance of living your values. Not just post about them on social media, or talk about them with friends. Embracing your values and implementing them into your life. Turn your beliefs into actions.

Her story got me thinking. She has a point. I decided to make a goal. By December of this year, I will live as close to a Zero Waste lifestyle possible. It won't be a simple task. But it will be worth it.

For more information on Lauren Singer, click here.

For simple ways to eliminate waste in your daily life, click here.