5 Tips For When You Are First Transitioning To Natural Hair

Are you and your hair transitioning?
8

This upcoming labor day marks my 2 year Afro-versary and in honor of this wonderful occasion, I have decided to write a piece with 5 tips that I hope help any new upcoming naturalista out there.

After relaxing my hair since I was 12 years old, at 19, I did not know the first thing about managing natural hair.

Transitioning from relaxed to natural can be one of the most stressful experiences if one does not have the right tools and information in order to be able to maintain healthy natural hair. Thanks my wonderful friend Jennifer (https://www.instagram.com/oyitenwula/) and numerous youtube videos, I began my natural hair journey.

Here are 5 tips that helped me tremendously when I began to transition:

Tip #1: Big Chop

This may seem scary but doing the big chop or even just trimming your hair a little goes a long way when it comes to natural hair. This process allows for the hair to start fresh and breathe. I would recommend this to anyone who has relaxed hair or a lot of heat damage.

Tip #2: NO HEAT!!

The one thing you need to not put in your hair when transitioning is heat. Heat, of any kind, damages hair. When first transitioning putting heat in your hair will be like taking two steps back after having moved forward. You do not want to put your hair through that.

Tip #3: Protective Styles

I cannot stress the importance of using protective styles on your hair, specially in the winter time. Winter is extremely brutal on your hair and the only way to keep it from suffering any damage is by using protective styles. You can use box braids, twist outs, or even a weave, whatever works for you.

Tip #4: Hot Oil Treatments

When I tell you that doing a hot oil treatment will bring life back to your hair, I am not lying! Whether you are using coconut oil, castor oil, or olive oil, it will leave your hair feeling brand new. It will help restore moisture and shine, leaving your hair with a healthy glow.

Tip #5: Patience

This one may seem a bit odd but it is honestly the best tip I can ever give anyone when transitioning. Going through such a major change causes major stress and a lot of people sometimes are not able to handle it. Patience is key because it will take time for you to see results and for you to adjust to the new routine and for you to even feel comfortable with your natural hair.

I hope these tips serve as a guide to anyone thinking about or in the middle of transitioning. And if you have questions or concerns, always remember that the natural hair community is a very close community. If you contact any naturalista be it through instagram, Facebook, or any other form of social media, from person experience I guarantee you that they will respond and will be more than willing to help you.

Best of luck on your journey to all of my beautiful naturalistas!!

**Disclaimer: One thing that needs to be understood about natural hair is that natural hairs varies from person to person. What may have worked for me may not work for you and that is okay! We have to work with our hair and learn to understand it in order for it to always be healthy.