Toilet Talk

Toilet Talk

Let's talk about the bathroom debate.

12
Toilet Talk
buzzfeed.com

Let's talk toilets.

By that I mean let's talk about the recent obsession with categorizing people and forcing them to use toilets that correlate with their assigned gender.

When the argument began, suddenly and without warning, I literally sighed out loud simply because I am so, so tired of useless political nonsense used as attacks against anyone who does not conform. I mean, really, now we need to start policing people as they try to use the bathroom? Simply because this debate seems so ridiculous and random, I've listed my top five questions for policymakers attempting to regulate restroom use.

1. How are you going to enforce your bathroom laws?

Honestly, I'm quite curious as to how one might go about making sure that people are using the "correct" bathroom. Will someone stand outside a restroom and demand proof? How will that conversation go? "Excuse me, sir/ma'am, but I need proof that you are my definition of female/male before you can pee." How is that not more disruptive and dangerous than simply allowing people to act like adults and choose whichever bathroom is appropriate?

2. Do you think that people have been only using bathrooms that correlate with their assigned gender? Really?

I wonder when it will occur to policymakers that trans people have been using whichever bathroom they deem appropriate... this whole time...

3. Has anyone realized that in order to enforce this law, we're going to see a sudden increase in gender-based violence and harassment?

Trans people are one of the most harassed/victimized groups in the country. It seems that this bathroom debate is just one more way to try to take away their rights, and perpetuate violence against them. I'm sure that as soon as legislation is passed banning trans people from using a bathroom other than the one provided for their assigned gender, we're going to have a bunch of bigots "guarding" (read: harassing) people in the bathroom.

4. Do you really think you'll feel more comfortable after you've forced a trans person into the wrong bathroom?

Let's just take a moment to consider how awkward you're going to feel if your legislation actually passes.

5. What exactly are the penalties going to be when someone uses the "wrong" bathroom?

So, say a trans person uses the "wrong" restroom, what are you going to do about it? Will you harass them until they leave? Will there be legal consequences? How will these consequences be enforced?

It seems to me that these questions are essential to the debate.