If You Answer Yes To Any Of These 10 Questions, You Might Need To Breakup With Social Media

Don't let social media make decisions for you.
312

I'M BREAKING UP WITH SOCIAL MEDIA!

Look, I know I sound crazy, but just bear with me on this one. Think about it: how many times are you hanging out with a friend, and both of you are just sitting on your phones? Maybe you're even sitting right next to each other and just texting them instead of verbally communicating (call me crazy, but I feel like humans have vocal chords for a reason).

And maybe even worse: you guys can't have a real conversation in person because who you are online is different than who you are offline. You know, the absolute worst part is that this kind of scenario is just the tip of an iceberg larger than Mt. Everest. There's also cyberbullying, an increase in self-esteem issues, and even more (maybe that we don't even realize yet).

Giving up social media for lent really opened my eyes to the issues with social media and the burdens it places on both society's shoulders and an individual's shoulders.

Honestly, I felt so much happier with myself when giving it up that when I could finally use it again, I didn't really want to use it. In fact, using it kind of stresses me out now, so I've decided to break up with social media for good.

Well, kind of. I'm keeping Facebook so my family, especially those in England, don't think I'm dead or missing. I'm basically remodeling my personal twitter account so I'm just following poetry and topics I actually care about (and memes but I like to keep that part on the down low).

As for Instagram, I'm going to delete my personal and keep my photography account. Lastly, I'm just going to use Snapchat for communication and keeping up with my friend's lives. Basically, anything that makes me unrealistically self-conscious or more selfish, I'm getting rid of or modifying it to not be that way.

If your relationship with social media is at a crossroads, ask yourself these 10 questions:

1. Do you tweet more to your drafts than to your actual feed?

2. Do you constantly check Instagram to see how many likes (or comments) your selfie got? And/or do you check Snapchat to see how many views (or replies) your selfie got on your story?

3. If you didn't get enough likes, comments, replies, views, etc., do you delete the selfie?

4. Does scrolling through your feed make you feel self-conscious about characteristics of yourself that you normally would not be self-conscious about, or even self-conscious about characteristics you love about yourself?

5. Do you find yourself scrolling through social media while hanging out with a friend rather than talking to them in person?

6. Do you get in fights with friends, family, or significant others when one of you misinterprets something that someone said on social media?

7. Do you find yourself acting completely different on social media than you would normally in person?

8. Are you getting fewer things done (homework, projects, etc.) because of spending time on social media?

9. Is it hard for you to talk about uncomfortable, controversial, and/or significant topics in person?

10. Do you struggle to connect and converse with people in person?

If you answered yes to 5 or more of these questions, or honestly even any of these questions, I would strongly suggest taking a hard look at your social media: who you follow, what you post, how you act, etc.

You don't need to cut social media cold-turkey if you don't want to, but I think you'll find that your life is much simpler without the stresses and burdens it places onto your shoulders. Trust me, the process isn't easy, but it is liberating in every way imaginable.

Don't let social media wear the pants in your relationship, people.