The Top Ten Songs That Made Nirvana

The Top Ten Songs That Made Nirvana

Nirvana: 22 years after the death of Kurt Cobain.

949
The Top Ten Songs That Made Nirvana
Nirvana

Almost everyone knows Nirvana. If you don't really know Nirvana, chances are you've heard the name, seen the smiley face of heard of Kurt Cobain. Nirvana embodied 90s rock, bringing underground rock (now known as grunge) to the mainstream and introducing the world to alternative rock. Starting in Aberdeen, Washington as a three-piece band playing in the garage, Nirvana is now one of the most commercially successful rock bands.

Consisting of singer and guitarist Kurt Cobain, bass player Krist Novoselic and drummer Dave Grohl - one of many Nirvana drummers - the band influenced much of what society calls Generation X. Although they saw their end in 1994 with Kurt Cobain's death, Nirvana is still a well-known and popular band with millennials. Nirvana only released three studio albums; all were filled with heavy riffs, pop hooks, dynamic verse-to-chorus shifts and gripping lyrics, making their music unique, even to this day.

In light of Friday being the 22nd anniversary of Kurt Cobain's mysterious and controversial death, here's a tribute to Kurt and Nirvana, with the Top Ten Songs That Made Nirvana.

10. "Francis Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle"

This fictional story about an actress, critics say, is actually a metaphor for Kurt Cobain's struggle with his wife Courtney Love for custody of his daughter Frances Bean. The palm-muted rhythm guitar along with the power burst chords make this song musically dynamic when paired with the lyrics. Just based solely on the message in the lyrics the song is a powerful one, but when backed up by the somber instrumentation, "Francis Farmer" ascends all expectations.

"It's so relieving
To know that you're leaving
As soon as you get paid
It's so relaxing
To hear that you're asking
Whenever you get your way
It's so soothing
To know that you'll sue me
This is starting to sound the same
Well I miss the comfort in being sad
Well I miss the comfort in being sad
Well I miss the comfort in being sad
In her false witness
We hope you're still with us
To see if they float or drown
Our favorite patient
A display of patience
Disease-covered Puget Sound
She'll come back as fire
To burn all the liars
Leave a blanket of ash on the ground"

9. "Drain You"

"Drain You" is somehow one of those songs I seem to forget is Nirvana. It was the first Nirvana song I ever heard, and it's great for a plethora of reasons. It was featured on Nirvana's album Nevermind as the b-side to Smells Like Teen Spirit, and was actually preferred by Kurt Cobain. It's lyrics are unconventionally romantic and the instrumental interlude featuring all three pieces of the band showcases the cohesiveness of Nirvana perfectly.

"One baby to another says, 'I'm lucky to have met you'
I don't care what you think unless it is about me
It is now my duty to completely drain you
I travel through a tube and end up in your infection
Chew my meat for you
Pass it back and forth in a passionate kiss
From my mouth to yours
I like you

With eyes so dilated, I've became your pupil
You've taught me everything without a poison apple
The water is so yellow
I'm a healthy student
Indebted and so grateful
Vacuum out the fluids
Chew my meat for you
From my mouth to yours
I like you, you, you, you, you, you

One baby to another says, "I'm lucky to have met you"
A travel through a tube and end up in your infection
Chew my meat for you
From my mouth to yours
Sloppy lips to lips
You're my vitamins
I like you"

8. Rape Me

Before you get all excited, let me explain. Many, who don't look below the surface of the lyrics, don't realize that Nirvana's "Rape Me" is actually an anti-rape song, about a protagonist who is almost challenging their attacker to rape them, that it will only make them stronger, and they know they can't be the only one. Kurt Cobain has spoken out against violence against women and rape before, and "Rape Me" has to be carefully studied to really understand what it's saying. Not to mention, it has some beautifully dramatic dynamic shifts, and Kurt's raspy voice portrays the raw emotion of the lyrics.

"Rape me, rape me my friend
Rape me, rape me again
I'm not the only one
I'm not the only one
I'm not the only one
I'm not the only one

Hate me
Do it and do it again
Waste me
Rape me, my friend
I'm not the only one
I'm not the only one
I'm not the only one
I'm not the only one

My favorite inside source
I'll kiss your open sores
Appreciate your concern
You're gonna stink and burn"

7. Heart Shaped Box

"Heart Shaped Box" was one I honestly didn't hear until more recently, going back through all of Nirvana's music. Before Nirvana's album In Utero was even released, rumors were already swirling about the noisiness and pointlessness of the album. This song, however, seems to be one of Nirvana's safest. It's classic verse-chorus-verse, with Kurt's usual unique lyrics and some crazy riffs. What makes it stand apart is the odd imagery of comparing cancer and medical equipment to love.

"She eyes me like a Pisces when I am weak
I've been locked inside your heart-shaped box for weeks
I've been drawn into your magnetar pit trap trap
I wish I could eat your cancer when you turn black

Hey!
Wait!
I've got a new complaint
Forever in debt to your priceless advice
Hey!
Wait!
I've got a new complaint
Hey!
Wait!
I've got a new complaint
Forever in debt to your priceless advice, your advice

Meat-eating orchids forgive no one just yet
Cut myself on angel hair and baby's breath
Broken hymen of your Highness, I'm left back
Throw down your umbilical noose so I can climb right back"

6. All Apologies

This one is considered my many Nirvana songs as one of their last REAL songs. It's droning riff in drop-D tuning alongside Kurt's calm and resigned tone leaves us in bliss as Nirvana almost seems to fade into the ether in the coda. And then, of course, there's Cobain's lyrical genius as he sings about his life, his music, his addictions, and his relationships.

"What else should I be
All apologies
What else could I say
Everyone is gay
What else could I write
I don't have the right
What else should i be
All apologies

In the sun _ in the sun i feel as one
In the sun - in the sun
I'm married
Buried

I wish i was like you
Easily amused
Find my nest of salt
Everythings my fault
I'll take all the blame
Aqua seafoam shame
Sun burn with freezerburn
Choking on the ashes of her enemies

In the sun - in the sun i feel as one
In the sun - in the sun
I'm married
Buried
Married
Buried
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah"

5. Lithium

"Lithium" is not only one of my personal favorites, but a fan favorite as well. It's musical bliss, filled with muted single notes and occasional double stops as Cobain plucks one of Nirvana's most unforgettable songs away on the guitar. It's a joyous, yet desperate, ode to finding religion, and like many of Nirvana's classics: the quieter parts are the most compelling, especially with "Lithium"s clever chord progression.

"I'm so happy because today
I've found my friends
They're in my head
I'm so ugly, but that's okay, cause so are you
We've broken our mirrors
Sunday morning is everyday for all I care
And I'm not scared
Light my candles in a daze
Cause I've found god
Hey, hey, hey

I'm so lonely but that's okay I shaved my head
And I'm not sad
And just maybe I'm to blame for all I've heard
But I'm not sure
I'm so excited, I can't wait to meet you there
But I don't care
I'm so horny but that's okay
My will is good
Hey, hey, hey

I like it, I'm not gonna crack
I miss you, I'm not gonna crack
I love you, I'm not gonna crack
I killed you, I'm not gonna crack"

4. In Bloom

"In Bloom" is the perfect hipster song. The entire chorus talks about the guy who likes to sing along to the pretty songs, but he "knows not what it means". This song becomes a bit of a paradox for those who only know the chorus, and never take in the full meaning of the song, as it's chorus is one of Nirvana's catchiest and most well-known. Musically, it's one of the most dynamic as well. There are some of Nirvana's gnarliest chord changes and some of Dave Grohl's best drum fills, and this is definitely a song to jam out to.

"Sell the kids for food
Weather changes moods
Spring is here again
Reproductive glands

He's the one
Who likes all the pretty songs
And he likes to sing along
And he likes to shoot his gun
But he knows not what it means
Knows not what it means
And I say
He's the one
Who likes all the pretty songs
And he likes to sing along
And he likes to shoot his gun
But he knows not what it means
Knows not what it means
And I say yeah

We can have some more
Nature is a whore
Bruises on the fruit
Tender age in bloom"

3. Come As You Are

"Come As You Are" has one of the most memorable guitar riffs, well... ever. The changes in dynamics, drum fills, along with Kurt's raspy, emotion-soaked voice and thought-provoking, contradictory lyrics come together to form a unique criticism of the controversial nature of human behavior. It also features many of Nirvana's most famous lyrics, alongside "Lithium" and "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

"Come as you are, as you were
As I want you to be
As a friend, as a friend
As an old enemy
Take your time, hurry up
Choice is yours, don't be late
Take a rest as a friend
As an old
Memoria, memoria
Memoria, memoria
Come doused in mud, soaked in bleach
As I want you to be
As a trend, as a friend
As an old
Memoria, memoria
Memoria, memoria
When I swear that I don't have a gun
No I don't have a gun
No I don't have a gun"

2. "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

Surprised this one is only number two? "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is easily Nirvana's most mainstream song. It has great dynamics, great hooks and a two bar riff so infectious that there's no way the song doesn't stick with us. This song is the perfect encapsulation of teen angst, especially in the era when grunge ruled. It's a simple song, as far as its musical structure is concerned, and wasn't expected to be the most popular on the Nevermind album. But it was soon on heavy rotation on alternative rock stations soon after its release and remains their most famous song today.

"Load up on guns, bring your friends
It's fun to lose and to pretend
She's over bored and self assured
Oh no, I know a dirty word
Hello, hello, hello, how low? [x3]
Hello, hello, hello!
With the lights out, it's less dangerous
Here we are now, entertain us
I feel stupid and contagious
Here we are now, entertain us
A mulatto
An albino
A mosquito
My libido
Yeah, hey, yay
I'm worse at what I do best
And for this gift I feel blessed
Our little group has always been
And always will until the end
[Bridge, Chorus]
And I forget just why I taste
Oh yeah, I guess it makes me smile
I found it hard, it's hard to find
Oh well, whatever, never mind"

1. "You Know You're Right"

For those of you who may be surprised at the number one pick, let me explain. "You Know You're Right" was not released until nearly ten years after Cobain's death and was featured as the first song on Nirvana's 2002 compilation album. It is the last known composition by Cobain and was written and recorded just a few months before his untimely death.

The unique quality of Cobain's voice is on full display. The dynamic changes in the music are some of the most powerful in any Nirvana song and the lyrics paint a picture of a resigned and pained Kurt Cobain at the end of his relationship with his wife, Courtney Love. This song remains one of the most powerful and truly demonstrates Nirvana's legacy.

"I would never bother you
I would never promise to
I will never follow you
I will never bother you
Never say a word again
I will crawl away for good
I will move away from here
You won't be afraid of fear
No thought was put into this
I always knew it would come to this
Things have never been so swell
And I have never failed to fail
Pain
Pain
Pain
You know you're right
You know you're right
You know you're right
It's so warm and calm inside
I no longer have to hide
There's talk about someone else
Steaming, soon begins to melt
Nothin' really bothers her
She just wants to love herself
I will move away from here
You won't be afraid of fear
No thought was put into this
I always knew it'd come to this
Things have never been so swell
And I have never failed to fail"

"If you die you're completely happy and your soul somewhere lives on. I'm not afraid of dying. Total peace after death, becoming someone else is the best hope I've got."

-Kurt Cobain