Top Ten New Year's Resolutions

Top Ten New Year's Resolutions

How to improve your life in the New Year

116
Top Ten New Year's Resolutions
Google Images

1. Get in shape

This is the resolution that haunts you and almost every other American each year while putting together the New Year's resolution list. If you are serious about getting in shape, see your doctor first and get a blood test measuring your cholesterol and other levels, so you know what to target. Start slow and exercise at least three times a week, with a mixture of cardio and weight training. Zumba and Yoga are great ways to get in shape while having fun. Opt for Cheerios in the morning instead of a Taylor ham, egg, and cheese sandwich; it is healthier, and Cheerios are gluten free and known to lower cholesterol. Create a workout and food log to help you track your progress and achieve your goals.

2. Meet new people

This is what college is for, meeting new friends! Get out there and mingle, join new clubs or sports teams and make friends with unexpected people. Friends come in all different shapes and sizes, so stray from your core friend group and experiment with meeting people you may not typically find yourself spending time with. Surround yourself with people whom you truly care about and who sincerely care about you.

3. Become more active

Interpret this resolution however your heart desires. Whether this means exercising more, being more involved in a club or organization, or just being more social with your friends.

4. Start saving money

This resolution is very important, as jobs for millennials are scarce. Start saving now because you never know when you will need some extra cash. Maybe you have your eye set on a specific study abroad program, or a new car, or your dream apartment. Put some money away in a savings account every time you get paid. This will make a big difference, come this time next year.

5. Learn a new language

You never know when you are going to need to know a foreign language. Knowing a bit of all the main European languages may help you out someday on a school trip or in your future career. Options like Rosetta Stone and self-learning books are available at stores like Barnes and Noble or your university’s bookstore.

6. Take a summer/ winter course

I highly recommend taking a summer or winter course throughout your four years of college. It may help you to graduate a semester early, thus saving you thousands of dollars on room and board, meals plans, and textbooks. If you are not working over the breaks, this is a great way to use your time off efficiently.

7. End toxic relationships

This is key to mental health and happiness. Start the new year off right by ending toxic relationships, whether it be with a manipulative significant other, a negative friend, or anyone else who is dragging you down. 2018 is about improving yourself and being successful. Remember that anyone who isn’t encouraging you and helping you to be your best self is not worth spending time with.

8. Learn a new skill

Learning a new skill can be very fulfilling and fun. Try learning to play a new instrument, or join your school’s choral program. Learning a new talent or skill can improve your confidence and reduce stress in your life. Join your local recreational club and meet some new people with the same interests as you.

9. Start a journal

Journaling is a great way to track your progress and achieve your goals. Log your life experiences in a journal and keep track of all the sentimental moments you don’t want to forget about. This can also be a great way to relieve stress and let off steam by writing down your troubles and concerns. It can help you to be more independent by writing down your issues and working through them on your own.

10. Spend more time with family

In the new year, remember that your life is too precious to be spending time with people who don’t care about you. When you're in need of a shoulder to lean on, go back to your roots and talk to the people who know you best: your family. I love telling my grandma all of my good news because she is my biggest supporter, and has tons of old stories to tell me about growing up in the 1930s and my past relatives.