Greatest Lyrics: My Top Ten

Greatest Lyrics: My Top Ten

Everyone has their favorite lyrics, and here are mine

7
Greatest Lyrics: My Top Ten
Levi white

Music is one of the most influential factors in creating a movement in people. Sometimes it is for personal growth, other times it is to simply get people up and moving on the dance floor. But there is one part of the music that will always stand out, and that is the message. So many artists have something to say.. in fact, true artists get into their art form because they can best express their thoughts or emotions through it. Artists do it to convey themselves and to get other people with them. Each and every one of us can probably think of one quote from a song that stands out to you. It could be something fun, weird, sad, or inspirational. I want to show you, with my extensive listening to music, some of the most moving lyrics that I have ever come across. Like quotes, lyrics can have a sense of power, just simply by being spoken... and some written by true geniuses in the art of lyrical expression.

1.) "Did you try to live on your own, when you burnt down the house and home? Did you stand too close to the fire, like a liar looking for forgiveness from the stone?" Green Day

I thought I would start us off with a song many of us are familiar with... 21 Guns by Green Day. These lyrics stand out with such a powerful statement... talking about falling victim to one's own mistakes.

2.) "Though I know that evening's empire has returned into sand, vanished from my hand, left me blindly here to stand but still not sleeping. My weariness amazes me I'm branded on my feet, I have no one to meet, these ancient empty streets too dead for dreaming." Bob Dylan

Now we cannot talk about lyrics without mentioning the master of lyricism. These lyrics are so beautiful... this is from the song Tambourine Man. Although the entirety of the song is hard to deduce the full meaning, this small section appears to be talking about being unable to sleep and he is just left wandering around because of his inability to sleep. But, I could be totally wrong...

3.) "I know where you stand, silent in the trees. And that's where I am, silent in the trees. Why won't you speak where I happen to be, silent in the trees standing cowardly." Twenty One Pilots

This one is from the band that I am proud to call my favorite band.. this is the song "Trees" by Twenty One Pilots. In this, he may be talking about someone he is hiding from, but still at the same time is wanting to talk to... there is some ambiguity in who he is in fact talking to, but I will let you come up with your own conclusions on that one.

4.) "Take time with a wounded hand, 'cause it likes to heal. Take time with a wounded hand, 'cause I like to steal." Stone Temple Pilots

From one pilot to another, here we are with the song "Creep" by Stone Temple Pilots. These lyrics can seem a bit nonsensical at first, but upon further investigation there is so much to grasp in this. In the song, he is often talking about how he feels stabbed in the back, his wounded hand could be referring here to the fact that he is hurting himself in the case that stealing isn't doing him very well... only causing him pain. He needs to take the time to heal.

5.) "Sleeplessly embracing butterflies and needles line my seamed-up join encased in case I need it. In my stomach, for my heart, chain mail. Hunger of the pine. Hunger of the pine." Alt-J

Possibly one of the most abstract and ambiguous lyricists of all time, Alt-J made it for the best lyrics with this line. Despite never once directly relating any part of the lyrics to it, this is referring to missing someone, or 'pining' for them, if you will. What makes these lyrics so wonderful are intensely thought out and planned arrangement of these lyrics to bring about a common theme in such a way that it is guaranteed that there wasn't even an ounce of plagiarism... completely original.

6.) "I used to recognize myself, it's funny how reflections change. When we're becoming something else, I think it's time to walk away. So come on let it go, just let it be. Why don't you be you, and I'll be me?" James Bay

This is the song "Let It Go" by James Bay. Unlike the other songs on this list thus far, the subject matter is pretty straight forward, but the content is just so well arranged. This lyric makes the whole song complete, linking the chorus to the verse talking about how he feels like he isn't himself anymore and he just needs to be himself... though basic, it is still a great piece of lyric.

7.) "Beside the garden wall when stars are bright, you are in my arms. The nightingale tells his fairy tale of paradise where roses grew. Though I dream in vain, in my heart you will remain my stardust melody, the memory of love's refrain." Hoagy Carmichael

And now we will leap back in time about a century with this one, this is "Stardust" by Hoagy Carmichael. This one made the list because these are the most poetic lyrics I believe I have heard to this day. The whole song was just so amazing, but if I were to just choose one part, it'd be this one.

8.) "Let's rearrange, I wish you were a stranger I could disengage. Just say that we agree and then never change. Soften a bit until we all just get along, but that's disregard. Find another friend and you discard as you lose the arguments in a cable car hanging above us as the canyon comes between." The Fray

Cable Car, plenty of us will remember this song. To this day this song still sticks with me. These lyrics hit home with a lot of people... this hits the top ten for the amount of truth in conviction (and beauty) got wrapped into a short line.

9.) "Forgiveness is a falling leaf in the changing of the years, as it settles down to the cooling ground, let it go." Ben Sollee

With another lyric loaded with the bittersweet truth, here is "Let It Go" by Ben Sollee... no it wasn't in Frozen, totally different song. This song has such a resounding impact on the need for people to just forgive and forget, to let go.

10.) "You are away from me. All the fair, the dark can be the downfall it's our enemy. Who are you trying to blame it's no one's fault 'cause inside of me, I love you to the core. If you leap inside the corners of my mind, somersault into my emotions, I'm a river 'till you take the dive... ocean." Andreas Moe

Another favorite song is going to be our closer for the top ten best lyrics. The lyrics try to express a man talking to a woman, seeming like there is some conflict between them, not that they are arguing, but maybe that there is fear of the unknown and they have to take risks, and leap into the unknown. These lyrics are an inspiration as a writer to really bring out the wonder in the writing, to explore the language and the metaphors contained within itself. This lyric inspires us that not only is it a beautiful lyric, but that as an artist there is still a chance to be original and wonderful at the same time.

Hope you enjoyed these lyrics as much as I do... Tell me in the comments about these lyrics and what your favorite lyrics are... what inspires you?