Last Sunday, January 8, award season officially began with the night where all of Hollywood comes together—the Golden Globes. Of course, besides wanting to know who will walk away winners at the end of the night with all the biggest awards, one of the other most highly awaited aspects of the night occurs before the show even starts, as all of the biggest stars of the night are arriving on the red carpet. Who does not want to see all of the gorgeous gowns, perfect pantsuits, and overall best fashions? Here were the top ten best dressed at the 2017 Golden Globes:
Popular Right Now
It's tough to find perfect tattoos with meaning.
You probably want something permanent on your body to mean something deeply, but how do you choose a tattoo that will still be significant in 5, 10, 15, or 50 years? Over time, tattoos have lost much of their stigma and many people consider them a form of art, but it's still possible to get a tattoo you regret.
So here are 20 tattoos you can't go wrong with. Each tattoo has its own unique meaning, but don't blame me if you still have to deal with questions that everyone with a tattoo is tired of hearing!
SEE RELATED: "Please Stop Asking What My Tattoos Mean"
1. A semi-colon indicates a pause in a sentence but does not end. Sometimes it seems like you may have stopped, but you choose to continue on.
2. "A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."
3. Top symbol: unclosed delta symbol which represents open to change. Bottom symbol: strategy.
4. "There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls."
5. Viking symbol meaning "create your own reality."
6.Greek symbol of Inguz: where there's a will, there's a way.
7. Psalm 18:33 "He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he causes me to stand on the heights."
8. 'Ohm' tattoo that represents 4 different states of consciousness and a world of illusion: waking (jagrat), dreaming (swapna), deep sleep (sushupti), transcendental state (turiya) and world of illusion (maya)
9. Alchemy: symbolizes copper, means love, balance, feminine beauty and artistic creativity.
10. The Greek word “Meraki" means to do something with soul, passion, love and creativity or to put yourself in to whatever you do.
11. Malin (Skövde, Sweden) – you have to face setbacks to be able to go forward.
12. Symbol meaning "thief" from the Hobbit. It was the rune Gandalf etched into Bilbo's door so the dwarves could find his house.
13. “Lux in tenebris" means “light in darkness."
14. Anchor Tattoo: symbolizing strength & stability, something (or someone) who holds you in place, and provides you the strength to hold on no matter how rough things get.
15."Ad Maiora" is translated literally as “Towards greater things." It is a formula of greeting used to wish more success in life, career or love.
16. A glyphs means “explore." It was meant as a reminder for me to never stop exploring.
17. "Aut inveniam viam aut faciam," meaning roughly, "Either I shall find a way, or I will make one."
18. Lotus Flower. It grows in muddy water, and it is this environment that gives forth the flower's first and most literal meaning: rising and blooming above the murk to achieve enlightenment.
19. The zen (or ensō) circle to me represents enlightenment, the universe & the strength we all have inside of us.
20. Two meanings. The moon affirms life. It looks as if it is constantly changing. Can reminds us of the inconsistency of life. It is also symbolizes the continuous circular nature of time and even karma.
I couldn't help but notice a stream of articles saying women HAVE to 'dress up' for class. I'm here to say you don't. Why should you have to dress up for class when your schedule is filled to the brim with papers and extracurriculars and five classes that you need to study for. It is incredibly easy to throw on leggings, a t-shirt, and sneakers.
Anyone who says that jeans are more comfortable than leggings are LYING to themselves. That also goes for heels vs. sneakers. If I'm going to be sitting in one spot for an extended period of time, I want to be comfortable. I don't want to be in jeans and necklaces and a gazillion annoying bracelets when I could be in shorts and a t-shirt.
Some girls really like dressing up for class, and that is great for them. But it's not great when women start hating on other women for looking comfortable in class. Give it up Becky, you're just mad that I spent 20 minutes getting ready and you spent 120. Chad from theta beta zeta phi is probably taking notes from the slides, not on which girls are dressing up.
Some people will say that dressing up for class prepares you for the 'real world.' This is the real world. College is the real world. I'll look nice for my future job when I get to my future job. Wearing t-shirts and leggings a couple days a week while I'm in college has ZERO effect on my future job. Listening in class does. And guess what, I can't listen if I'm tired because I spent 4 1/2 hours getting ready!!! (Maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but come on people.)
I'll wear what I want to wear. You can wear whatever you want to wear. I'll compliment your shirt, you'll compliment my sneakers, and we will both continue on happily doing our own thing.