The Top 5 Must Read Manga And Manhwa Series

What Manga or Manhwa should you read?

3633
Wallpaper Cave

Now you may be wondering: What is a Manga or Manhwa? Well, Mangaā€™s and Manhwaā€™s are both comics or graphic novels. The only difference between the two is that a Manga is Japanese, typically drawn in black and white and follows a format where you read from right to left, while the Manhwa is the Korean version which is often colored and read normally from left to right.

What separates these graphic novels from our western comics is primarily the topic and subject of the stories. Usually, our western comics are about superheroes, but Mangas and Manhwas can range from stories about super-beings, to history (with a twist), to school life, to Slice of Life, to supernatural crimes and beyond. Also, they differ in regards to publishing. Western comics tend to be published on a monthly basis where you have to purchase them online (if you are lucky) or at a comic book store. Manga and Manhwas are published on a strict weekly or monthly basis and sold everywhere from newsstands, to bookstores, train stations and even candy shops.

When my best friend introduced me to the world of Mangas and Manhwas about four years ago, my first thoughts were: ā€œManga? Manhwa? Gesundheit.ā€ Little did I know of the amazing, entertaining and engaging stories and concepts presented in these graphic novels.

Below is my list of must-read Manga/Manhwas:

5. "Love So Life"

Begun in 2008, "Love So Life" is an ongoing Manga series with currently 97 chapters to it. This Slice of Life Manga revolves around the life of an orphan, daycare center worker and high school student named Shiharu. Seeing how well she works with children, a young man approaches her to become the babysitter of his 2 year-old twin niece and nephew who he is the guardian of. Shiharu quickly finds herself falling in love with her new makeshift family, and we follow her adventures and the drama involved with taking on the motherly role. This feel-good Manga is beautifully drawn, cute and entertaining. I would recommend it for anyone to read.

4. "Death Note"

This completed Manga series was created in 2004 and is appropriately categorized under action, drama, fantasy, mystery and supernatural. This story holds on of the most interesting concepts I have ever read in a Manga. The Death Note, which the series is named after, is a journal owned by the Death God, Ryuk. Writing a personā€™s name into the journal results in their death exactly 40 seconds later. When the Death Note is misplaced, it is stumbled upon by a genius twelfth grader named Yagami Light. He had only heard stories about the journal, but when he discovers that he holds the true Death Note he is consumed with the desire to cleanse the world of evil and create his own utopia which he would rule. Heā€™s quite an ambitious kid. After committing a string of murders with the journal, the worldā€™s greatest detective, L, is put on the case. The two geniuses then go head to head. Will Light succeed in creating his idealistic world? Or will L be able to outwit Light and put a stop to his plans? This fascinating series is 108 chapters long and has even been adapted into a successful anime show. It is a story very much worth reading and or watching.

3. "Witch Hunter"

The Witch Hunter Manhwa was created in 2006 and is ongoing with 158 chapters. This hilarious action-adventure series takes place in a world where witches have declared war on all humans. Protectors of humanity emerge, called the Witch Hunters. They are the only humans bestowed with powerful abilities and gadgets to help them combat the witches terrorizing humanity. Among the strongest of the Witch Hunters is Tasha Godspell, who fights the witches alongside his magical companion, Jack-O-Lantern. The story follows Tashaā€™s adventures battling witches, delves into his past and explores the reasons behind the war. This Manhwa has amazing action sequences, enjoyable characters and interesting supernatural concepts. You wouldnā€™t expect it to be as funny as it is, but it is a truly entertaining series.

2. "Noblesse"

This is the first graphic novel series I ever read, thanks to my best friend. She got me hooked on this series. Started in 2008, "Noblesse" is an ongoing Manhwa with 396 chapters. The story follows the awakening of an unparalleled powerful noble named Cadis Etrama di Raizelā€”or Rai for shortā€”after a 850 year-long slumber. With no knowledge of the advancesā€”and descentsā€”of power in our modern world, Rai is oblivious to the many threats that lay ahead of him. While exploring our world, he finds his loyal servant Frankenstein who helps Rai adjust to the new world by enrolling him in the high school he principals. We watch as Rai and Frankenstein endeavor dangerous adventures against a secret organization hell-bent on retrieving Rai and his powers, while uncovering Rai's past. This amazing Manhwa is definitely a must-read. Itā€™s funny, has great action scenes and introduces supernatural elements I have never read in any other comic or novel. Truly an inspiring series.

1. "Kuroshitsuji" ("Black Butler")

"Kuroshitsuji," translated as "Black Butler," is one of the most successful Manga series out there. It is ongoing with currently 113 chapters and has been adapted as an anime, musical, live-action film and video game. The story takes place in the Victorian ages of London, following the life and adventures of Earl Ciel Phantomhive. After his parents were murdered, Ciel formed a contract with a demonā€”who he named Sebastian Michaelisā€”for protection and assistance in seeking out those who killed his parents in exchange for Cielā€™s soul. Sebastian then disguises himself as Cielā€™s butler. Also known as the Queenā€™s Watchdog, Ciel is often tasked with solving mysteries and crimes in Londonā€™s underworld by the Queen herself. We watch as Ciel and Sebastian (with the aid of some allies) work together in this thrilling and historical series. This Manga is beautifully drawn, consistently updated, can be comedic and is always exciting to read.

Most, if not all, of Mangas and Manhwas can typically be found online. If you would like to read some, the most reliable and up-to-date websites I have found are Mangafox and Mangahere. All of the comics I have mentioned above are my personal favorites and ones I would recommend anyone and everyone to read.