20 Best Anime Characters

20 Best Anime Characters

If you are new to anime I suggest checking out any one of these shows.

5149
20 Best Anime Characters
myanimelist.net

I have had this idea in my head for awhile. I kept writing it off as silly and not something we all could "relate to." But then I realized that wasn't true at all. Sure not everyone has favorite anime characters per say since not everyone loves anime but we all have favorite characters from books, movies or other shows. So I realized that something like this is something we actually could all relate to. So here is my own special list.

AS A DISCLAIMER: These are all my own personal opinions and in no way reflect other people's favorites. There will probably be lots of anime enthusiasts who disagree and that is fine. Share this and talk amongst yourselves if you'd like.

I have so many favorite characters of course. It was hard to put them in any certain order since to me it is like picking favorite children. However because I had to plan this, I decided it would be easier to choose just 20 of them. So without further ado here are my top 20 favorite anime characters of all time.

20. Allen Walker (D.Gray-Man)-

Allen is a kind, gentle soul who is always there to fight for his friends and allies. He is the epitome of politeness. I wish I could put him closer to the top of the list because I really do love him but I haven’t finished this show or the accompanying manga so I don’t know all of his character.

19. Ciel Phantomhive (Black Butler)-

Ciel is a young lord in England during the late 19th and early 20th century. He is ruthless but has a side of tenderness when it comes to his servants and his betrothed, Elizabeth. His intelligence and wit is also what keeps him on this list.

18. Armin Arlert (Attack On Titan)-

Armin is Eren Jager’s best friend and the smartest of all the Titan fighters. In a world where titans rampage, the warriors need someone who can make plans strategically. Armin is the sweet, quiet kid who sits and reads books all the time. But he steps up when he needs to. He is on this list because he reminds me a lot of myself.

17. Death The Kid (Soul Eater)-

Death The Kid is the son of the Grim Reaper. He is extremely meticulous to the point of it being comical. His OCD tendencies have to do with everything being symmetrical and he goes out of his way to make it so. He is also a tough fighter when his friends are in trouble. His twin pistols Patty and Liz help keep him on track when he gets over the top.

16. Ranma Saotome (Ranma ½)-

The show Ranma ½ is a show that throws gender roles out the window. It is one of those special cases that has a somewhat message and that message entails throwing out any kind of specific roles for male or female because the main character can become either in the blink of an eye. Ranma Saotome was cursed to become a girl when falling in cold water. This teaches him to respect young women as he would want to be respected as one himself. He eventually warms up to his fiancé Akane Tendo and shows his much more tender side.

15. Maka Albarn (Soul Eater)-

Maka is the hot headed, bookworm lead character of Soul Eater. It is fair to say she is the main character and that the story revolves around her and her partner Soul Evans. But there are so many diverse characters in the show that it is equally difficult to decide who the main actually is. I was especially drawn to Maka because of how much she is like me. Similar to a lot of my favorites, I tend to pick the bookworm type: the characters that would rather spend their time in the corner with a good book than socialize. Maka is also a balanced combat artist. She and Soul work well together. They eventually become in sync and it is fascinating to watch their relationship grow throughout the series.

14. Kaneki Ken (Tokyo Ghoul)-

Kaneki is half human and half ghoul. He is a boy of about 17 who cares so much for his family and friends. He enjoys books, coffee and is great at protecting his loved ones. It was hard for him to adjust to life as a ghoul but eventually he accepted the cards he was given. I love him because even when things get bad he is always there for those he cares about.

13. Haruhi Fujioka (Ouran High School Host Club)-

Haruhi is the only female lead character and host in the series. She was forced to become a host to repay a debt after she broke a vase the boys were planning on auctioning off. Haruhi is kind, resourceful and always does what is best for her friends and family. She sees the best in people and doesn’t allow gender roles to get in her way. She is my favorite female character in all of the anime that I have finished and deserves every recognition as one of the strongest leads in the anime community.

12. Jacuzzi Splot (Baccano!)-

Jacuzzi is a young immortal. He is in love with his childhood sweetheart, Nice and just wants to live with her. They have the cutest relationship. He is so kind and tends to be a bit of a scaredy cat. But that’s what makes him so endearing. I love the kid-like characters the best. They are the sweetest in temperment and even though they are scared easily which can be annoying at times, Jacuzzi doesn’t grain on you. He overcomes his fear for Nice.

11. Kamina (Gurren Lagann)-

Kamina is main character Simon’s “bro.” He gives Simon important advice right up to when he is killed. Even after death, he is still essential for Simon’s well-being. He influences almost all of Simon’s personal decisions and that is why he is ranked so far up on the list. His impressions were huge in all of the characters’ lives.

10. Yato, Yukine, and Hiyori (Noragami)-

It was hard to pick just one out of these three. They all have qualities that I love about them. Yato is the god that no one believes in. He tries his hardest to get people to appreciate him and give him gifts. He has a soft spot for Hiyori. His kindness towards her is what makes him so endearing. Yukine is a sword or Regalia. He is the spirit of a young boy who died and when partnered with Yato, can become a mighty weapon. He is a sweet kid who has a chronic fear of being forgotten. Hiyori Iki is a human girl who obtains special powers of being able to slip out of her body at will after being hit by an oncoming truck trying to save Yato. She cares for her friends and is seen being the mother of the two boys.

9. Iwatobi Swim Team (Free!)-

The entire Iwatobi swim team is just so important. They are all sweet little beans who compete in their favorite sport and may be just a little bit gay for each other. But it is their skills in swimming that make them so formidable. Each boy has a stroke they excel in. They try their best throughout the show to work as a team.

8. Mikado Ryugamine (Durarara!!)-

Mikado is a quiet kid who moves to the town of Ikkebukuro after hearing from his best friend Masaomi Kida. He is the leader of a gang called the Dollars although he doesn’t seem like a gang leader at first sight. I preferred this character to a lot of the other ones because he was the most normal. He was level-headed, calculative and didn’t just jump into things.

7. The Wolf Pack (Wolf’s Rain)-

The wolf pack are the main characters of Wolf’s Rain. They each bring something unique to the group traveling together in search of paradise. Hige is the “ladies man” and always complaining about being hungry. He is a fierce protector of his friends right up to the end. Toboe is the little brother figure of the group and he seems to be the one to undergo the most development throughout the series. Tsume is like the parent of the group.

He tries to make sure everyone makes the right decisions and watches out for the younger wolves like siblings, especially Toboe. Kiba is the main character and the most impulsive of the pack. He tends to make rash decisions emotionally but when need be he will buckle down. Blue is the only female member of the pack.

She and Hige have obvious feelings for each other and care deeply for one another’s safety. Each wolf is special and the bonds they formed together last through the whole series. It is important to also note that there isn’t one that sticks out as more important because to me they are all important.

6. Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)-

Monkey D. Luffy is a young rubber pirate in search of treasure. He is outgoing, bouncy and takes care of his crew as if they were his family. He makes friends everywhere he goes and rarely gets angry at anyone. He is the happiest character on this list with boundless enthusiasm for treasure hunting and sailing the open seas.

5. Erza Scarlet (Fairy Tail)-

Erza is the most aggressive character in the Fairy Tail Guild aside from maybe Gajeel Redfox. She is also strikingly beautiful and tends to wear outfits that are a bit skimpy. She is proud of her friends and believes in them absolutely. You would not want her as an enemy however. She is very skilled in combat and can take down anyone who stands in her way. I personally love her because she shows that there is more to women in anime than just being beautifully styled and having a larger bust size. She has grace in her movements when fighting and is a diplomat the other half of the time.

4. The Elric Brothers (Fullmetal Alchemist/FMA: Brotherhood)-

Ed and Al come in a package to me. They will always be together in any kind of lists I make because of their brotherly bond. The sacrifices they have made for each other’s well-being are some of the best in all of anime. They care so deeply for one another. I admire that commitment in a sibling relationship. No matter what you know they will always have each other’s backs.

3. Soul Eater Evans (Soul Eater)-

Soul is the character the entire show is named after. He is a smooth-talking, level-headed “cool guy.” He is loving and protective with his partner Maka. Their relationship is the most dynamic in the series. Despite his laidback nature, he can be vicious at times. Whenever his meister or other friends are in trouble he becomes super powerful. This shows that his personality while not perfectly sketched out, is changing and that is what makes a character of this show’s caliber tick. The changes made throughout the show are important to furthering development.

2. Ash Ketchum (Pokemon)-

Of course I would put someone from this show on the list because I grew up with it. Now this particular entry was difficult to decide and I considered doing the original trio because all three of them mean so much to me.

But I decided to just choose Ash because he was the most obvious main character of all three. He is also the only protagonist to stay the same for all 19 seasons. His passion and commitment to his Pokemon training is one that has always impressed me.

Unfortunately he is dense to a lot of other things, which makes him a little bit harder to relate to as I have gotten older. But he will always have a special place in my heart.

1. Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)-

Spike is my favorite character of all time because his backstory is the most unique. He is also the rugged Han Solo type of character and different from most of my other favorites, which makes him stand out. Cowboy Bebop itself is among the most influential anime of its time.

It gave rise to what amazing dubs look like and Steve Blum does an awesome job as the top notch bounty hunter.

So There you have it. These are my top 20 favorite anime characters of all time. Read this article, share it with your friends and talk amongst yourselves about who your favorites are. If you are new to anime I suggest checking out any one of these shows. They are easy to get into and most are accessible online or in stores or libraries. Thanks for Reading!!