My Top Favorite Moments Of The Election Cycle So Far

My list of the funniest moments of the 2016 presidential election.

14
Metro US

As the 2016 Presidential Election cycle draws to a close--we're less than 20 days out from Election Day on November 8th--I wanted to take a moment and look back on the best things that have graced headlines since the campaigning began last year. From cheating scandals and gaffed interviews, to rogue media and hilarious Youtube clips, our illustrious candidates have provided ample fodder. So let's take a journey together and remember those moments that made us laugh, cry, and ask ourselves, "WTF?"

1. “Aleppo? What’s Aleppo?” Gary Johnson

Sigh. Gary, Gary, Gary. When Mike Barnicle, a panelist on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe”,asked Johnson what he would "do about Aleppo". the Libertarian Party’s candidate seemed perplexed, even asking Barnicle, “And what is Aleppo?” The gaff seemed small to many people, as few people knew what Aleppo was without Google. However, because the next POTUS should be prepared to navigate the complex world of foreign policy, Johnson’s lack of knowledge indicates a lack of preparation to occupy the Oval.

2. Evan McMullen—who apparently is not an item off the Dollar Menu

When the #NeverTrumpOrHillary crew realized that Gary Johnson wasn’t a less ridiculous choice to serve as a protest vote, some turned to this guy.

3. Ted Cruz is the Zodiac Killer

The Zodiac Killer theories surrounding Ted Cruz gave birth to my favorite meme to come out of the election cycle. The theory that the Republican primary contender might be the serial killer originated in a tweet by RedPillAmerica which speculated that Cruz’s CPAC speech was titled “This Is The Zodiac Speaking”, according to Know Your Meme. The joke spread across Twitter, Google search results, and even leaked into The White House Correspondents Dinner. Notably, the Zodiac Killer meme wasn’t the last time Cruz was associated with a gruesome murder.

4. Ted Cruz’s father in a picture with Lee Harvey Oswald

Did you guys know that Ted Cruz's dad was involved in the Kennedy Assassination? Just kidding! Probably not. An article published by the National Enquirer leveled shocking allegations at the Republican candidate’s father, citing a photograph which showed a man who looked like Rafael Cruz handing out pamphlets alongside Kennedy assassin Lee Harvey Oswald. Sites like now-defunct Gawker published articles that subtly poked fun at how outlandish the accusations are and always made sure to convey the unadulterated contempt the media felt for Ted Cruz.

5. Hillary’s FBI “Investigation”

Just watch this video and try to tell me his family isn’t being held hostage somewhere in the underbelly of the Clinton Foundation HQ.

6. #HillarysHealth

The questions about the health of Democrat nominee Hillary began to proliferate after Infowars’s Paul Joseph Watson and Mike Cernovich, author of Guerilla Mindset, blew the lid off the scandal. The story spiraled out of control in the non-mainstream media when Hillary collapsed on 9/11. Infographics comparing the lumps in Hillary’s pantsuit to the shape of a catheter surfaced, and the hashtag #HillarysHealth began to trend on Twitter, while speculations about a staffer carrying what looked like a diazepam syringe circulated across the internet. From strange coughing fits to a light schedule, the evidence is still piling up.

7. Bernie’s new lakehouse

Remember when your family bought their fourth? Oh… your family didn’t buy a third home this year? That’s okay, neither did mine. But the Sanders clan did! They found a cozy $575,000 summer home on Lake Champlain. According to the article, Sanders and his wife’s combined incomes exceed $200k yearly, putting them in the top 4% of earners in the US. Sanders apparently owns residences in (at least) three other states.

8. Trump’s “My wife is hotter than Ted’s wife” debacle

That awkward moment when your wife isn’t as hot as Melania Trump! The Donald wasn’t afraid to brag about his model wife in this retweet. Cruz politely defended his wife’s honor, responding that “Melania is lovely, and Heidi is the love of my life”.The Twitter spat was a far cry from the policy debates on the debate stage, but was definitely a memorable moment in the Republican primaries

9. Hillary’s inconsequential Alt Right Speech (including racist frogs and Breitbart reporters)

If you weren’t closely following the election this summer, this probably wasn’t even a blip on your radar. Hillary Clinton delivered a major speech concerning the emergence of the Alt Right movement in which she addressed memes (read: pepe) and Milo Yiannopoulos. While the speech was widely anticipated as a brave confrontation of the new Alt Right movement, it was actually quite uneventful and in fact showcased Clinton’s lack of knowledge of new media. The highlight of the event was when someone in the crowd yelled “Pepe!” in the middle of Hillary’s speech. Classic!

10. The Ted Cruz booger

The video pretty much speaks for itself.

11. Ted Cruz’s cheating scandal

Okay did you ever think you’d see the words “Ted Cruz” and “cheating scandal”, together, in the same sentence? According to the National Enquirer, the Republican contender sure gets around. The funniest part of this story wasn’t the rumored 5 mistresses, or even that the senator’s name was listed in the blackbook of a D.C. madam. For me, the funniest part of the whole thing was the idea that mild mannered, simpering Ted Cruz had a harem of mistresses. Just…. What?

And lastly,

12. Any Wikileak

Can’t say enough about Wikileaks and their exposure of corruption during this election cycle. From the Podesta emails to the Guccifer leaks. Wikileaks has been #WithUs the whole time.

What have been your favorite moments so far? Tweet me @LexiOnAnOdyssey .