7 Literary Classics To Read Right Now

7 Literary Classics To Read Right Now

Classic literature doesn't have to be a drag.

10
7 Literary Classics To Read Right Now

As someone that knows just how hard it can be to get out of a reading slump, there are some novels that surpass the test of time. These are my top picks of the best classics (in my honest, English-major opinion) that anyone can enjoy.

1. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

My all-time favorite classic. The novel follows Elizabeth Bennet as she navigates what true goodness is. Proposals, marriage, money--al of that encapsulates what this novel is. Plus, the romance is pretty great.

2. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

The way this novel is told is completely addicting. The serialized chapter makes it hard to put down. The novel follows a drawing teacher, Walter Hartright is employed to teach half-sisters Marian Halcombe and Laura Fairlie. On the way, he runs into a rather distressed woman dressed head to toe in white. And that is where the mystery begins.

3. Dracula by Bram Stoker

Everyone has encountered some version of Dracula at some point, but the original novel is equally as horrifying. Definitely worth the read.

4. A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle

Sherlock Holmes is one of the most common names in the detective novel genre. This is the first novel of many and where Sherlock and Watson's friendship begins. It's short and keeps you on your toes the entire time.

5. Silas Marner by George Eliot

This one isn't too long, either. I read this in my Victorian Novel class sophomore year and absolutely loved it. Eliot has a way with words and her use of strong realism.

6. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Considered an early feminist work (which is still highly debated), Jane Eyre is a coming of age novel that also touches on class, gender, sexuality, and religion. Oh, and some romance.

7. The Awakening by Kate Chopin

This is a super quick read that follows Edna Pontellier. Her struggle with motherhood, sex, and femininity defines this as a unique novel that came about at the turn-of-the-century.