Top 7 Comedy TV Shows You NEED to Watch on Netflix

Specifically after finishing a dramatic TV series

45

Author's Note: All opinions of the following shows are completely subjective. Any comments made in this article that seem offensive are truly not meant to offend. All shows listed below are currently on Netflix as of September 2016, when this article was written. Enjoy!

My relationship with Netflix dates all the way back to my sophomore year of high school. I was fifteen years old when I watched my first full show: Gossip Girl. If you've seen Gossip Girl, then you're very aware of how dramatic that show is. The plot twists, the drama, the back stabs - Gossip Girl was an alternate world in the Upper East Side that I wanted to live in. The thing about Gossip Girl was that it was a fantasy. It wasn't real and it was dramatic.

It took me about a year and a half to finish Gossip Girl, but when I did, I felt so free. Free to do homework without procrastination! Free to spend my nights going to sleep at a reasonable hour! Free to spend time with my friends and family! Free to move onto the next series that I would spend binge-watching for a month or two!

To contrast with the dramatic roller coaster that was Gossip Girl, I decided to choose a different type of TV series to watch. Maybe a series more realistic, but also with a bit of humor. I knew I wanted to watch a comedy series, but there were so many - I wanted to watch them all! To cut right to the chase: here's a list of the Top 7 Comedy TV Shows You NEED to Watch on Netflix, specifically after you've watched a drama that was probably too dramatic.

7. Freaks and Geeks

Freaks and Geeks is a show based in the 1980's about a girl named Lindsey Weir who transforms to fit in with a group of friends at her school, the "Freaks." Lindsey's younger brother, Sam, has his own adventures with his two best friends. Get this, Sam and his friends are known as... you guessed it! The "Geeks." This really is a cute little comedy about self-image, peer pressure, and fitting in. It's legitimate and also hilarious. Don't get too sucked in; unfortunately, there's only one season on Netflix. Cue sobbing.

6. Total Drama Island

Total Drama Island is a Canadian based show that's a parody of basically all stereotypical reality/survivor TV shows. Contestants, in this show, have to compete on an island in order to win $100,000. All the characters on the show really do represent your average contestants on any other contest show. It's got a lot of knee-slappers and satirical humor. This show is honestly so sarcastic, it's hilarious.

5. Psych

Psych is a fantastically hilarious show about Shawn Spencer, a man who has crazy-impressive observation skills. By using these skills, he's convinced the Santa Barbra Police Department that he's a psychic detective. With the help of his best friend, Gus, Shawn solves cases for the SBPD that involve murder, burglaries, etc. It's a loose version of Law and Order, and it's HILARIOUS.

4. 30 Rock

30 Rock is an awesome comedy about Liz Lemon (played by the super awesome, Tina Fey!) who is the head-writer for a live sketch comedy show - think SNL. The show exhibits the stress of a writer who is basically a babysitter for TV celebrities, love disasters and love victories, egos, and dreams. It's honestly a great show and one I would seriously recommend.

3. New Girl

New Girl has a great amount of L.O.L. humor; it's a show about a girl named Jessica Day who moves into an apartment with three guys after she broke up with her boyfriend whom she was living with. They all sort of go through wacky situations that make up their lives. New Girl is still airing on Fox; it's a real super cute comedy and if I, personally, had to watch only a couple shows for the rest of my life, New Girl would definitely be on that list.

2. Friends

If you haven't seen Friends, are you even American? It's a great show about a sixlet bunch of best friends who go through life together. I really don't know how to explain this show any further. If you haven't watched it, please do. If you have already watched it, then watch it again. Teeny, tiny spoiler alert: I cried when I finished this show.

1. The Office

THIS IS THE BEST COMEDY SHOW ON NETFLIX. IF YOU DON'T THINK IT'S FUNNY, THEN YOU'RE PROBABLY NOT A REAL HUMAN. The Office is set up like a documentary, and basically exemplifies what happens in a paper company office building. I totally get it if you are having trouble getting into the show, I had trouble, too. Skip the first season. You won't be missing much, but hey I get it. The Office is a great show and I would recommend it to anyone who is into blunt humor and "that what she said," jokes.

Go forth on your journey of binge-watching hilarious TV shows! Comment some other shows on Netflix that you think people should watch!