For most of us, it is impossible to start our day without a warm cup of coffee or tea. The laziness or the lack of motivation we feel before our first cup in the morning makes us believe that we, as humans, are not functional before caffeine reaches our body. Around 83 percent of Americans drink coffee at an average of 3 cups in a day. As per the stats revealed in 2012, 60 million Americans binge drank coffee and had 5 or more cups of it in a single day.

Technically speaking, caffeine is not addictive as it doesn’t comply with the characteristics of any addiction. However, it cannot be denied that caffeine dependence is alarmingly widespread and this has caused the World Health Organization (WHO) to consider it an addictive substance. Although caffeine addiction is not something which will require you to seek help from proper institutions like American Addiction Centers, nevertheless, it leads has some serious repercussions.

Number Proving Caffeine Addiction

70 million Americans drink coffee on a daily basis with the country being the highest consumer of it followed by Brazil. Around 70 percent of caffeine is consumed in the form of coffee and your body has the tendency to get rid of 75 percent of it within a few hours. Caffeine is a part of the meals or drinks of 90 percent of the world’s population.

What Does Caffeine Do?

Your small intestine easily absorbs caffeine and is quickly transported to the brain where it stimulates the central nervous system. It does not remain in the body for a long time and leaves through urine within a few hours after consumption.

The molecular structure of caffeine is similar to adenosine which is a neurotransmitter in the brain causing the subject to feel relaxed and sleepy. Caffeine interrupts the normal sleep causing effects of adenosine and causes an increased firing of neurons in the brain and thus, the subject feels more awake and energetic.

Withdrawal Symptoms

Within a time span of 24 hours, the withdrawal symptoms of caffeine kick in that are subtle in the beginning but gradually become serious. You will feel lack of alertness, mental fogginess, and even a severe headache. As your body starts protesting even more for taking it away, you will also feel nausea, muscle pain, and other flu-like symptoms.

It is also observed that with the passage of time, people develop caffeine tolerant tendencies. This means that they require a larger amount of caffeine to kick out of their phase and this strengthens their addiction even more. Although overdosing on caffeine is a rare occasion, it can still occur and can cause problems like heartburn, infertility, and irregular bowel movements. It is said that high quantity of pure caffeine i.e. 5 grams is fatal but that is equivalent to consuming 40 cups of coffee in a go.

In summation, caffeine has some dire consequences when consumed in larger quantities, however, it is still not termed to be an addiction. It is up to the consumers to keep a control on themselves to escape the negative effects.