Best Podcasts To Listen While Driving Home For Christmas

5 Podcasts That'll Help You Survive Your LONG Drive Home This Christmas

For when you're three hours in and all your music starts to sound THE SAME.

269

I used to hate long road trips - hours on end I was stuck in an uncomfortable car, the same five songs playing on the radio, and the only entertainment being the slightly varying scenery outside my window.

That was, until Spotify became a thing, and podcasts took rise as a legitimate form of media.

I've began to switch out my road trip playlists with podcasts, and it has completely transformed my road trip experience. Now, instead of sleeping the entire trip, my parents and I can bond over murder mysteries and comedy interviews.

Here are a few of my favorites that I think are perfect for your ride home for the holidays, ranked from least awesome to most awesome (five being least awesome and one being most awesome.)

5. "Crime Junkie"

Hailing from Indianapolis, Indiana, Ashley Flowers and Brit Prawot host this true-crime podcast for the support of Crime Stoppers of Central Indiana.

They tend to stay extremely straight-forward and fact-driven, making sure you get the unbiased crime story. This is a great one for when you're in a spooky mood and looking for some Forensic Files-esque crime stories.

4. "Jenna and Julien"

If you've ever watched Jenna's YouTube channel, her podcast is the same tomfoolery and shenanigans. They basically talk about whatever they want every day, and the laid back atmosphere of the show is refreshing and dynamic.

3. "Freakonomics"

My favorite thing about this podcast is that I feel like I learn so much after listening to it. They cover everything from the European Brexit to the influx of vaping in the United States. It's extremely interesting and engaging and never fails to make time go by super fast.

2. "Conan O' Brien Needs A Friend"

If you’ve ever watched Conan’s late night show, you may think you know what this podcast is, but it’s really different. Conan sits down with some really amazing figures in media and politics and has honest and raw conversations with them. Some episodes are filled with laughter and fun while others go deep into the depression that usually lurks within comedic communities. It’s down to earth and extremely well done.

1. "My Favorite Murder"

And finally, for the top podcast to listen to on the road, Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark's “My Favorite Murder". This podcast has earned top ratings on Spotify and Apple Music by taking a comedic approach to true crime. They use comedy to deal with tragic events like the Golden State Killer or the Black Dahlia, but they always make sure to emphasize respect for the victims and to learn how to “stay sexy and don't get murdered". They are huge advocates for mental health and have grown a truly remarkable fan base surrounding their brand. Their combination of quick wit and storytelling is sure to keep you engaged and questioning everything during your road trip.