Top 3 Reasons To Visit Port Elizabeth

Top 3 Reasons To Visit Port Elizabeth

My top three reasons to visit South Africa based on my own personal experiences.

7
Top 3 Reasons To Visit Port Elizabeth
Mark Finley

This past summer I took the opportunity to study abroad in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. 9,243 miles away from good ole Omaha, Nebraska. As soon as I told people this I could tell they had fear in their eyes. Whenever Americans learn about Africa they assume everyone lives in huts and travel miles and miles away to a well to fetch water. There was constant war and they were afraid that I would be taken hostage and never seen again. Unfortunately, there are parts of Africa where this is still true. However, South Africa was a developing country. Some parts were well developed due to the economy while other areas had families still living in homemade shacks. Despite these two different levels of living, every person I met was genuine, kind, and had a true heart.

1. Ubuntu

Ubuntu is a word I learned the first day of class at Nelson Mandela University (previously known as Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University). There are many definitions for this word but they all have the same concept.

I am because of you.

I am because we are.

The belief that we are defined by our compassion and kindness towards other.

What you do affects the whole world.

Humanity towards others.

Do unto others as others do unto you.

In other words, Ubuntu means that every person in your life helped you to get this far in life and you have done the same for them. This word touched my roommate so much that she even got it tattooed on her foot while we were there. I am going to get a tattoo of it myself (sorry mom). It wasn't just a word to them. I could see them use it in their every day lives. I could feel it in the air. I'm sorry if it sounds cheesy but it is very true. In a world filled with violence and racism it was nice to people actually get along without being prejudice and turn other away because of the color of their skin or the clothes they wore on their back. South Africa has had a brutal past when it came to race just like the United States did. Now, I am seeing every shade of color just living together and making it work. In, America these days, all I see on the news is constant violence, celebrity feuds, and the embarrassing 2016 presidential election. Seeing genuine acts of kindness in South Africa just touched my heart.

One of my first encounters of Ubuntu was when we were all walking down to the local food market. I was the last one to check out and my friends were all waiting for me outside. The cashier thought I was all alone and knew I was not from this country. Before I left he asked if he could speak to me. He told me to be careful when walking to my next destination. He also pointed to the group of men sitting outside telling me that they were not good people and that I should avoid them. The fact that he actually was looking out for me just shocked me.

2. The People

Like I mentioned, everyone there was very nice even when they found out we were from the United States. Honestly, the first thing they said to us was "Donald Trump?" followed by an "I'm sorry". Having traveled to other countries before, I was already very cautious about appearing as an outsider. Salesmen and con-artists would be anxiously waiting around every corner just to try to rob us of all our money. However, I was quick to change my perspective on this.

Everyday across from our apartments there would be a flea market. Men from all over would come and start setting up at about 7:30 am everyday to try to get tourists and other locals to buy their products. These ranged from hand made carvings to jewelry and paintings. One day Lydia, my roommate, and I went down to check out to see what they had. All the salesmen were trying to get us to check out what they had to offer saying "Come check out what I have here. I give you the best price". It was like it was rehearsed I swear. We checked out every single vendor. I knew they were going to try to get us to buy stuff but what happened next I could not even predict would happen. Despite wanting us to purchase their products, they actually had conversations with us. It wasn't a normal "Hi how are you" type of conversation. They actually wanted to know us and even what we wanted to achieve out of life. Lydia had the chance to meet a man named Caesar who used to attend the Nelson Mandela University but had to stop because he couldn't afford it at the moment. Now he comes out every morning to try to sell pieces of his own art so he can go back and pursue a degree in engineering. After conversing with him for about 10 minutes we went around to talk to the other vendors and their stories. When we came back, he said he had a gift for her, giving her a piece of wire artwork for free just for talking to him.

Another instance was when we were driving around with our professor to try to find an church that was built during the time when South Africa was being settled. We were lost in a village filled with people who lived in makeshift shacks and housing the government tried to provide for them. We stopped by a woman who was trying to complete some of the daily chores around her house. At first she seemed startled. Here was a van filled with white people trying to talk to her. However, as soon as our professor started speaking in her language she seemed relieved and incredibly happy. She even asked if we could stay with her a couple days while she made food for her. She was a woman with an extremely low economic status but was offering her home to us. This is another example of when we encountered Ubuntu.

3. The Government Actually Cares

In the specific program I was in, we were constantly driving around Port Elizabeth to see different sites and were lectured on these trips there rather than a in traditional classroom. Because of this, we were able to see more of South Africa than the other programs did. One of the things I did notice was that there were not as many homeless people as I would have first thought. One of our professors told us that the government is trying to make sure that every person had a roof over their head. During some of our trips we were able to see these areas where the government already built houses for the community. They consisted of a bathroom, a bedroom, a kitchen, and some even had a solar panel to help power their electricity. These houses were no bigger than your living room. Although there were still some shacks around, it was just significant that the government would even try to help the lower class. In America, I feel as if I encounter so many homeless people every week. In downtown Omaha, there are homeless people taking baths in the fountains and sleeping on park benches. In Port Elizabeth, the government was trying to make sure that every citizen had a roof over their head. Progress with this has seemed slow but what others don't realize is how many citizens they are trying to help.

One of the other things that I loved about their government was that it wasn't an oligarchy like ours. It wasn't controlled by the rich corporations. In other words, people actually had a say. They weren't afraid to talk about issues that other people would only whisper about in the United States. They were comfortable to debate and argue in public about these issues. The government allowed every citizen to have a voice.

South Africa was an experience that I will cherish for the rest of my life. Maybe in the future I'll go back and live the rest of my days there. I encourage anyone who is reading this to study abroad themselves. Even though I was there for a short time, it was long enough to make a mark on my life. I hope you find the courage to travel halfway around the world. It will open your mind and change your perspective on the world you live in.

Photos by Mark Finley (The guy with the beard and is not a red head)