My Favorite Villains Of All Time

My Favorite Villains Of All Time

Let's take a look at the dark side.

66
My Favorite Villains Of All Time
Cinemais Comics

Well, I did my top 10 comic book heroes list, and I just finished my top 10 DC villains list on my site, so why not do the top 10 villains list here? Let's go, you heathens.

10. Johann Schmidt, the Red Skull

A poor, young and abused German who was personally selected and groomed by Adolf Hitler himself, Johann Schmidt was in charge of terrorizing the enemies of the Nazi regime during World War II. He cooperated with Baron Wolfgang von Strucker to found the super science cell, Hydra. He met and fought Captain America many times during the war. He was put in stasis towards the end of the war and awoken by Hydra decades later to find Captain America still alive and active. Their war has continued until this very day. Though Captain Rogers managed to kill the Red Skull in recent years, he was replaced with a clone that Hydra had fostered in case of Schmidt's demise. This clone assimilated the telepathic powers of the deceased Charles Xavier and has continued predecessors' crusade of hate. He has since used these abilities along with a sentient cosmic cube named Kobik to control and manipulate Captain America as his own personal super soldier. The Red Skull is an archetype of evil: a man that hates without ceasing and torments and kills as if it were a necessity of survival. He is pure evil, and I love every maniacal bit of it. He is a classical and screaming villain, and I can’t get enough of him.

9. Black Manta

The son of a treasure hunter killed by Arthur Curry aka Aquaman in revenge for the death of his own father, the man known only as Black Manta has devoted his entire life to killing Aquaman. He has attacked him at every opportunity, plotted against his friends and goals and done everything possible to destroy him. He recently led the Suicide Squad, but he has since left the group. He has recently destroyed Spindrift Station, Atlantis' embassy in the surface world, and joined up with a group called N.E.M.O. He is a man with only one goal and he will never cease. He is a man defined by a single moment in his life. These qualities make him one of the most fascinating and interesting rogues to ever grace the page.

8. Victor von Doom, Doctor Doom

Born to a poor Romani/Latverian couple, young Victor scraped himself up from nothing to attend a prestigious American college where he met Reed Richards. The two were friends until Richards attempted to stop a dangerous experiment of Victor's that ended in the scarring of Doom's face. He returned to Latveria and overthrew the government to establish a dictatorship. He has since pursued two goals: global conquest and the rescuing of his mother's soul from the demon Mephisto. The first of those missions have brought him to blows with everyone from the Fantastic Four to the Avengers to Spider-Man to Luke Cage. He is a tireless genius, sorcerer and visionary. He is not merely evil, as his vision for the world is peaceful. He has more recently taken up the mantle of Iron Man in the absence of Tony Stark. His endgame here has yet to be revealed. He is a complex and driven man, and that places him on this list.

7. Thanos, the Mad Titan

An Eternal born on Titan, he was tormented and ostracized for his deformities. In his adulthood, he retaliated by committing genocide among his people. He has since empowered himself both through biological and technological means. However, he has constantly sought greater power and has fallen in love with Lady Death. He has pursued universal conquest as a gift for her. He has killed billions, and his warpath has led him to Earth on many occasions. He has battled the Avengers, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Nova and the Silver Surfer numerous times. With Cosmic Cubes and the Infinity Gauntlet, he has threatened the entirety of existence more times than anyone else. He will never stop and never rest until he has the power he seeks and the love from his Lady Death.

6. Slade Wilson, Deathstroke the Terminator

A man with a distinguished military career, who, when offered the chance to serve his country as a test subject for a medicine that could increase the endurance of a soldier on the battlefield, accepted. He was the only survivor, and, when he awoke, he had enhanced strength, speed, reflexes and agility. He left the army and used these capabilities in the private sector as a mercenary. He came to care for two things: his family and his legacy. The former grew to hate him for the complications that he brought, but the latter has been firmly established. He is known as the world's greatest assassin. Despite this, he has continued searching out new and greater challenges. However, he refuses to kill those who he feels haven't earned it. With his ambition and complex moral creed, Slade Wilson has earned his placement on this list.

5. Atrocitus, the Red Lantern

A millennia-old being whose entire race was wiped out by the Manhunters on the orders of the mad Guardian Krona, Atrocitus sees rage as the only true means of administering justice. To this end, he has used blood magic to create the Red Ring, a weapon that replaces the heart of the wearer and enables them to fly, conjure powerful energy blasts and vomit burning blood. He seeks to avenge the oppressed and downtrodden in the universe and often recruits them to his cause. However, his justice often ends with mutilation and massacre. This has led him to battle the likes of the Green Lantern Corps and the Sinestro Corps. He is not truly evil; he is just a being who has grown tired of seeing the wicked kill the innocent.

4. Black Adam

Teth Adam was born thousands of years ago in the oppressed nation of Kahndaq. His family was slaughtered by warlords, and he was offered the power to avenge them by an eternal being known as the Wizard. With these abilities, he overthrew the men who wronged him, but he was sealed away when he killed the Council of Eternity. In the present, he has returned to seek vengeance upon the Wizard and his new champion, Shazam. Aside from this, he seeks peace and prosperity for his homeland of Kahndaq, and he will do anything to accomplish this. When the Crime Syndicate attempted to rule the world, Black Adam challenged them, as no one rules Kahndaq but him. He is a man possessing great passion and pride, and this has earned him his high place on this list.

3. Baron Helmut Zemo

The son of Nazi war criminal Baron Heinrich Zemo, Helmut took up his father's grudge against Captain America and the Avengers after the death of Heinrich. He has used super science, the resources of Hydra, and has frequently united fellow rogues under the banner of the Masters of Evil. In one of the incarnations of this team during an absence of the Avengers and the Fantastic Four, he disguised his comrades as heroes and named them the Thunderbolts. They earned the trust of the public with the intention of ruling them. This eventually failed, but some members actually took to being heroes and continue as such to this very day. He has never forgotten his greatest foe, Captain America, and he still does everything he can to torment the man. When given the opportunity to show his endgame, he was revealed to have a peaceful vision for the world. However, he wants it to be under his rule. He has often wrestled with the legacy of the Zemos and his distaste for his father. He is a skilled fighter and a genius, but his arrogance and fury have often been his downfall. He has even seemed to sabotage himself on many occasions. These complexities and ambitions have earned Baron Helmut Zemo the number three slot on this list.

2. Thaal Sinestro, the Lantern of Fear

Among the most talented Green Lanterns to ever serve the Corps, Sinestro began seeing the value in ruling through totalitarian fear. He was arrested and exiled from the Corps when this was discovered by rookie Green Lantern Hal Jordan. Swearing vengeance against Jordan and the Corps, he had a Yellow Ring fashioned which was fueled by the fear of others. He battled the Green Lantern Corps on his own many times until he had more Rings fashioned and established his own Corps of Yellow Lanterns called the Sinestro Corps. He waged war against the Green Lantern Corps with this group over control of the universe. However, the threats of the Blackest Night, the Brightest Day and the First Lantern Volthoom have often sided Sinestro with his nemesis Hal Jordan. He has regained his respect and complicated friendhsip for Hal since. Now, the Sinestro Corps is the ruling power in the universe after the mysterious disappearance of the Green Lanterns. Sinestro wants peace, but he thinks this can only be accomplished through fear. As a result, the regime of his Corps has been tyrannical and horrific. Hal Jordan and the returned Green Lantern Corps ride to end it. His noble goals and endless drive have made Sinestro my second favorite villain of all time.

1. Erik Lensherr, Magneto

A victim of the Holocaust and an Alpha-Level Mutant, Erik Lensherr has done everything in his power to ensure the safety of his people, as he knows what true oppression looks like. To accomplish this, he has used fear and terrorist tactics both alone and with his Brotherhood of Mutants. He stands as the opposite to his close friend Charles Xavier and his X-Men. At times when Xavier has been unable to lead his X-Men, Magneto has actually been trusted with the leadership of the X-Men. As the status of the mutants' place in the world has worsened, Magneto has found himself allying with the X-Men more often, even leading his own team against the threat of the Inhumans and their mutant-killing Terrigen Mists. He is not an evil man. He only wants to see his people prosper at the cost of anyone who would stand against them. He will stop at nothing to save mutantkind, and this has earned Magneto the place of my favorite villain of all time.