Top 10 TV Dads All Dads Should Try To Live Up To

These top 10 dads in television history show us there are many amazing types of dads and what we can learn from them.

51
Dynamic Dads

In honor of Father's Day coming up, I have compiled a list of what I believe to be the top ten best dads represented in television history. Each character is unique, but all love their children in their own special way. Whether you're new to fatherhood or have been practicing the art of dad jokes for years, you might be able to learn a thing or two from these iconic characters.

1. Phil Dunphy: The hip dad

This leading man from the show "Modern Family" is not only king of the dad jokes, but is the "coolest" father by far. He knows all of the modern lingo and isn't afraid to show it. No matter how many mistakes he makes, he gets up and tries again like the persistent man he is. This goofy, easygoing dad may not be be perfect, but he's one of the best dads a kid could ask for and will always be around to "chillax."

2. Walter White: The protector dad

Of course Walter's made a couple mistakes, but what father hasn't? He (from "Breaking Bad") is a brave man and joins the drug trade industry specifically to take care of his family... now that's what I call commitment! He sacrifices his own life not once, but many times to provide for his family, so I think we can all overlook a little drug money embezzlement.

3. Jim Halpert: The dad everyone wishes was their dad

When it comes to dads, Jim Halpert has got to be the coolest (hottest) one around. This dad from "The Office" is one of the most thoughtful men on the list; I mean, just look how much time and effort he put into winning Pam's heart. We know he's a great dad because he has the best sense of humor and is probably helping his children pull of the best pranks on their fellow classmates right now.

4. Reginald "Red" Forman: The realistic dad

Red Forman from "That '70s Show" is definitely not the heartfelt, "let me hold your hand" kind of emotional dad that most kids strive for, but we love him anyway. He's the type of honest father that nobody ever wants but everybody needs. He puts people in their place and his "Don't get your hopes up" attitude keeps you on the right path, forcing you to strive for realistic and achievable goals.

5. Philip Banks: The all-work-no-play dad

Uncle Phil from "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" has had to deal with a lot in his day and his nephew Will moving in certainly doesn't make it any easier on him. Discipline is Phil's middle name. He's always there to set the situation straight and isn't afraid to speak his mind. This type of dad proves you don't have to always be warm and fuzzy to be a great father.

6. Ross Geller: The "Always There For You" dad

I mean c'mon, what would Ross not do for his kids? As the theme song mentions "I'll be there for you, when the rain starts to pour," Ross from "Friends" proves he is. He didn't run away when he found out his ex-wife was pregnant and having a kid with her lesbian partner, he stayed by her side. A true champ isn't afraid to do the hard stuff, like dressing up in an armadillo costume to teach their kid about Hanukkah or rapping to their child an offensive song by Sir Mix-A-Lot to get them to laugh.

7. Mike Brady: The best advice giver dad

Mike Brady of "The Brady Bunch" is a stand-up guy because he didn't run away when he met a woman with "three girls of her own." He's always ready to give advice to anyone who's willing to listen, no matter how jumbled and confusing it turns out to be. Any dad who is able to keep track of six children at a time and make sure they don't get into too much trouble is a winner in my book.

8. Danny Tanner: The mom dad

Who could possibly be a better dad that Danny Tanner from "Full House" himself? He is the ultimate dorky father who isn't afraid to embarrass his kids. He's always around to clean the house, do the laundry, or whatever other task needs to be done in order to take care of his three girls. Not only is he extraordinarily neat, both literary and figuratively, but he is always there to sit with you on the edge of your bed and give you one of his special heart-to-heart talks when you need it most.

9. Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor: The lead by example dad

Tim from "Home Improvement" isn't the sharpest tool in the box but he knows how to be there for his family. When he's not grunting or starring in his hit TV fix it show "Tool Time," Tim can be seen trying to teach his sons a thing or two about what it takes to be a dad. While he doesn't always understand what's going on around him, he's emotionally available when it truly matters.

10. Ron Swanson: The handy man dad

Ron Swanson from "Parks and Recreation" doesn't even need an explanation for why he would be a great father, his mustache says it all. What child wouldn't want this simple, manly, woodworking man as his or her father? You can sign me up, that's for sure.