The Top 10 Things I Am SO Ready For When I Have My Own Place

I can see it now...

127
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/02/28/636554502428535189-883535057_dorm%201.jpg

1. Everything will be where I want it

Although I do love living with my roommate, who is my best friend, the idea of having wide open spaces where I can put things where I want them actually makes me want to cry. A lamp here, a nice end table there, a Persian rug in the living room. My apartment or house or whatever I’m blessed with, which might be a broom closet at my current financial situation, is going to look like the design came straight out of Harper’s Magazine. Pure art.

2. I don't have to wear pants

Now before you say anything, I will be wearing pants when I have guests. I wasn’t raised in a barn. However, when no one is there, all bets are off. Pants are something I consider optional if you absolutely are not required to wear them. It just releases everything, keeps you comfortable, and keeps everything in the down under nice and cool. Plus, easy access to go to the bathroom.

3. I'll have an actual kitchen

At college, all I really want is a full kitchen with all the utensils and appliances I need. I love to bake so the thought of being able to bake or whip something up that I haven't before actually makes my mouth water. The idea of being able to pop a piece of toast in a toaster nearby is splendid. Being able to make a box of mac and cheese on the stove, amazing.

4. MY OWN BATHROOM

The bathrooms in the residence halls of Ball State are a scary place. There’s pee on the seats (HOW DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN WE LITERALLY SIT DOWN TO GO!?), mysterious gels and creams on the wall and menstrual blood in places that DON’T EVEN MAKE SENSE. You’ve got hair everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE.

It’s literally so disgusting and literally crawling with germs and bacteria that I not only wear shower shoes but also try my hardest to not touch any part of it. With my own bathroom, this would not be an issue. There would be hair but it’s mine so I know it’s safe. There might be gels and some shampoo on the wall but it’s mine. Also, I clean my dorm room at least once a week so the same thing would definitely be happening at my own place.

5. A place for my shoes

It’s the little things in life that you miss while at college. It was my mother’s greatest dream to have a mudroom and I never appreciated that beautiful thing until I was in my dorm room. When you’re covered in mud and three feet of rain because Muncie has no drainage and your boots or tennis shoes are dripping all over the room, a nice place to put your shoes sounds like heaven.

6. My own laundry room or area

Not paying for laundry. Not having to wait for a washer or a dryer. Being able to do a full load of laundry. Not having to wash your delicates in a dirty communal sink. Sounds like heaven, pure bliss, a place that doesn’t exist. It will be mine.

7. I get to live with my best friend

Although there are times where I could strangle my boyfriend, I do love him dearly. The thought of being able to come home after a long day to him making dinner or waking up next to him every morning sounds awesome. Plus I can get a foot rub whenever I want it and we can have movie marathons.

8. Safety is key

I do feel safe in the dorms. It’s not even the people outside of the dorms I worry about, it’s the people within them. I don’t know anyone and no one knows me so it’s hard to judge people. I mean I know no one is an axe murderer...at least I'm pretty sure...but I like a little more security then a simple lock on my door. With an apartment I can do like eight deadbolts as well as an alarm and sleep comfortably knowing a murderer won’t come in at night.

9. No noise problems

IF I AIN’T GET NO SLEEP CUZ OF Y’ALL, Y’ALL AIN’T GONNA SLEEP CUZ OF ME! The girls in my dorm are honestly downright disrespectful, especially the one that lives next door to me. She’s constantly on her phone and I’ve asked nicely about 20 times but she just doesn't care. We’ve got girls in the hallway at 1 a.m. ON A WEDNESDAY running up and down and screaming.

One night I even had people PLAYING SOCCER in the hallway above me. I understand you might not have class or you just want to party all of the time but some of us are trying to put our $24,000 of debt to use by getting an education. K thanks.

10. A full TV with all the channels

The current situation with my TV in my dorm is fine. I mean it’s connected and it has 12 channels, but it is not enough. I currently watch at least 10 different shows every week and I can't watch any of them live because I only get 12 channels. Also, my TV isn’t level with my bed so I can't bask in that Netflix and chill mode fully and be cuddled up in my bed all nice and warm.