Top 10 Sylvia Plath Quotes

Poetry is one of the most universal languages there ever was. Whether you're happy, sad, angry, empowered; there is a poem out there for just about everything. One of my personal favorite poets is Sylvia Plath, a well-written poet who conveyed emotions we've all been through. So, if you love poetry or Sylvia Plath, here are a few of her most relatable quotes!

1)“You are crucified by your own limitations. Your blind choices cannot be changed; they are now irrevocable. You have had chances; you have not taken them. You are wallowing in original sin; your limitations.”

Quite simply, you are your worst obstacle. You make the choices that you make and you must live with them. You have nobody to blame but yourself.

2) "If you expect nothing from anybody, you're never disappointed."

One of her more serious quotes, but still true today. In a world where people are usually out for themselves, people tend to disappoint. You'll never be completely satisfied with every person you come across and some people just don't have your best interest in mind.

3) "Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything, it is because we are dangerously close to wanting nothing."

Powerful is the best way for me to describe this quote. Sometimes, we convince ourselves that in wanting, we actually don't want anything.

4) "Kiss me and you will see how important I am."

For when you need to feel empowered, strong, and sexy. Yes, I said that. Sylvia Plath was a very sexual young woman as she was growing up. Not only does this quote exemplify how important a woman can be to someone, but also how intoxicating.

5) "The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt."

As someone who is their biggest criticizer, this speaks to anyone with any sort of idea. In the midst of a great idea (a new story, article, project), it's easy to ask yourself "am I doing this right?". Self-doubt is the biggest destroyer of dreams.

6) "I desire the things which will destroy me in the end."

This is almost like the quote: "Find what you love and let it kill you." The pursuit of your dreams can send you on the rockiest roller coaster of emotions and experiences you've ever been on. Tough it out and stick with it, no matter what.

7) "Let me live, love, and say it well in good sentences."

The writer in me (and in anyone reading this) will love this quote.

8) "I want to be important by being different. And these girls are all the same."

It's amazing to see how similar our world is to the world that Plath lived in. In a world where we are encouraged to be different, but judged for not being the same, it's easy to blend in with everyone. Be different, be you, and you'll immediately be more important than the person who blends into the background.

9) "I like people too much or not at all."

People suck sometimes and either you really like them or you really don't. Usually, there isn't a middle ground.

And last, but not least:

10) "Go out and do something; it isn't your room that's the prison, it's yourself."

One of my all time favorite quotes by Plath is simply inspiring. Go out and do something. Your four walls do not determine the experiences you can make for yourself if you just take a chance and venture out into the world. You are your own prison guard. The only person keeping you locked away, is yourself.

So, here are just a few of my favorite Sylvia Plath quotes, although there are many, many more. Feel free to share your own favorite quotes!