Top 10 Indian Movies to Watch

Top 10 Indian Movies to Watch

Start watching non-english movies with this list in your pocket.

10

International movies are creating a quite stir, with Parasite winning a Golden Globe and director Bong Joon-ho encouraging viewers to watch movies with subtitles. One area of great significance in the movie industry is India, it has been releasing new and original content that has been overlooked. Indian cinema started gaining popularity after Priyanka Chopra made the successful transfer from Indian cinema to American. Not to anyone's surprise, Indian cinema has a lot more to offer than just Priyanka Chopra and here's just ten movies to get you started. Despite the slight cheesiness in the trailers I still urge you to try watching one of them and you'll see the real charm. This list isn't categorized from best to worst, rather it's categorized as movies you should all watch because of different elements.

(This list has the potential to be very long but I'll narrow it down to movies within the last decade and that are in Hindi.)

1. Queen

A story about a girl who gets dumped the day before her wedding and decides to go on her honeymoon alone. The movie was nothing short of a coming-of-age movie but in the best way possible, it explored the other options women have in India rather than waiting to get married.

www.youtube.com

Found on: Netflix (with subscription)

2. Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani

A fun light-hearted movie about what can happen when two people who view life in very different ways get thrown together by a chance of fate. It's a movie you won't get tired of watching and has everything you could ask for, fun dances, weddings, and lots of romance.

www.youtube.com

Found on: Youtube Movies ($2.99)

3. Dil Dhadakne Do

All Priyanka Chopra fans unite. A movie about family overall and how sometimes you lose sight of those you matter to you most. This is a must-watch not only because it's an easy watch but because it brings up a lot of important topics.

www.youtube.com

Found on: Netflix (with subscription)

4. Andhadhun

A struggling blind artist lands himself into trouble by unintentionally ending up at a murder scene. Unlike the other movies, this movie is a bit darker than the rest. Landing in the psychological thrillers category this movie takes you on a trip.

www.youtube.com

Found on: Netflix (with subscription)

5. Bajirao Mastani

An epic love story told about an Indian warrior and his struggle between love and family. This movie is high in cinematography, one of the most visually appealing movies I've seen yet.

www.youtube.com

Found on: Youtube Movies ($2.99)

6. Dear Zindagi

A restless up-and-coming cinematographer tries to find a balance between her ambitions and humanity. A refreshing movie about the struggles you face as you try to be the best. Also, one of the best duos on-screen.

www.youtube.com

Found on: Netflix (with subscription)

7. Haider

A beautiful adaptation of Shakespeare's Hamlet, this version brings a whole new meaning to contemporary Shakespeare. A must-watch for all Shakespeare lovers.

www.youtube.com

Found on: Netflix (with subscription)

8. English Vinglish

A traditional housewife finds herself struggling to keep up with her children and husband and enrolls in an English course after having difficulty ordering food in English. An important reminder to audiences that there's a lot more to someone's intelligence than knowing English, especially in a country such as India.

www.youtube.com

Found on: Youtube Movies ($2.99)

9. Gully Boy

A Mumbai rapper grabs attention by rapping about the struggles he faced as a boy from the streets. A movie with dynamic characters and originality, it's a must-watch for the beautiful simplicity in how it was made.

www.youtube.com

Found on: Amazon Prime (with subscription)

10. Tamasha

Two young travelers cross paths while on vacation, they keep their identities a secret but find each other years later. It's a story that takes you by surprise in how we seem to lose ourselves.

www.youtube.com

Found on: Netflix (with subscription)