10 Of The Best Games On The Nintendo Wii

Wii would like to play.

297
Nintendo Today

The Nintendo Wii is one of Nintendo’s greatest successes--and one of its greatest mishaps. For some, it was a financial success with a lot of appeal. For others, it was a system that was somewhat lacking when compared to other consoles of its time and was too focused on its motion control gimmick. Whatever the reason, it cannot be denied that, in spite of its shortcomings, there was a reason why it sold: really good games.

In retrospect, the Wii had plenty of excellent games that kept the console afloat and helped Nintendo compete with the likes of Sony and Microsoft. I’m going to be counting down what I feel are the ten best of those games. One rule, though: I’m not going to count any ports on this list, so games like “Okami” and “Resident Evil 4,” though very good, won’t be on here.

Now, grab your Wiimotes and let’s begin!

10. “Punch-Out!!” (2009)

I’m a sucker for old-school retro, and thankfully, this reboot for the famed “Punch-Out!!” series does the job. Hearkening back to the days of the NES and SNES, the Wii’s “Punch-Out!!” is a deceptively simple boxing game where-just as in previous entries in the series-you must memorize, react quickly, and make every hit count to get to the top.

Of course, this isn’t just a retread of an old formula; new features like the option to have motion controls, multiplayer, and even the opportunity to fight Donkey Kong keep things interesting.

There’s no telling whether or not we’ll ever see this series get its due on a future Nintendo console, but I certainly hope so. “Punch-Out!!” stands in my mind as one of the most exhilarating, nostalgic, and fun experiences on the Wii, and I’d hate to see it end here. Maybe on the Switch we’ll see Little Mac put the gloves back on.

9. “No More Heroes” (2008)

No, your eyes are not deceiving you: this is indeed an M-rated, bloody, adult, sailor-mouthed game on Nintendo’s family-friendly console. In “No More Heroes,” you are Travis Touchdown, a slacker, otaku, and wrestling fan who has one goal: to become the greatest assassin in the world.

To do that, you’ve got to take a beam saber katana to the limbs, faces, and bodies of all your competitors. What ensues is a story that’s mind-boggling, zany, weird, not safe for work, and all around entertaining.

The big failure with many of the Wii’s titles was that the motion controls were either unresponsive, clunky, tiring, or all three. Thankfully, developer Grasshopper Manufacture avoids all these with a combat system that’s fast, makes sense, and gives gamers something different from the normal hack-and-slash game. The combat feels intuitive and rewarding, not cumbersome, and that’s so, so very important when you’re making an action game.

8. “Mario Kart Wii” (2008)

Another Nintendo console, another “Mario Kart,” right? Well, “Mario Kart Wii” thankfully has more to offer than just a simple racing game on the Wii. Several different control schemes to satisfy most any racer, memorable, challenging new tracks, a bunch of new characters, and the all-new vehicle selection mechanic gave “Mario Kart Wii” its own identity. So loved were these technical changes that they have influenced the franchise to this day.

The Wii was known well for its “party mentality;" indeed, “Mario Kart Wii” was built for those large family and/or friend gatherings, loaded with tons of fun things to do. The game ended up being a big seller for the Wii, and it’s no surprise given the production values. Like the best cars, this game handles like a dream.

7. “Wii Sports” & “Wii Sports Resort” (2006, 2009)

Motion controls were the name of the game when the Wii was first announced, and there were few games who could take full advantage of this gimmick than the “Wii Sports” titles. Both titles featured minigames with above-average controls and ample potential for solid multiplayer gameplay. In short, these games made flicking the Wii Remote fun, not frustrating.

Like many minigame-based games, the “Wii Sports” titles really are best enjoyed when you have other players around. Playing the games with others is chaotic, silly, and overall a blast. Though simplistic in design and features, the “Wii Sports” games are admirable in their own right for the engaging mechanics and great multiplayer support.

6. “Donkey Kong Country Returns” (2010)

Every true-blue fan of the platforming genre knows that the “Donkey Kong Country” franchise was one of the best side-scrollers ever made. But with the purchase of essential developer Rare by Microsoft, it seemed Nintendo fans would never see another “Donkey Kong Country” game again. Or so we thought; the series made a huge comeback with this title, taking with it all of its classic gameplay and delivering to players old and young a challenging yet robust side-scroller.

Aside from the gameplay, the game is gorgeous to look at, rivaling many other titles in its genre. The music is wonderful too, hearkening back to the great jungle beats from the prior entries in the “Donkey Kong Country” franchise. Perhaps one of the best franchise revivals to ever come from Nintendo, “Donkey Kong Country Returns” is an island adventure you shouldn’t miss.

5. “Super Paper Mario” (2007)

For this unique entry in the “Paper Mario” series of RPGs, Nintendo made the bold decision to mix RPG and sidescroller elements. It’s a hybrid style of gameplay that actually really works, using the Wiimote in ways that don’t just involve waving your arm around, simplifying the RPG side of things to welcome inexperienced gamers, and providing platforming challenges that will make die-hard fans of the genre happy. The exploration and battle mechanics are robust and satisfying enough to make “Super Paper Mario” stand out amongst other RPGs or even its predecessors.

Where the game also shines is in its well-written story. Sharp humor, excitement, and surprisingly touching moments bolster the titular plumber’s quest through the mysterious world of Flipside. It’s one of those stories that, despite reaching trying to reach younger gamers, manages to endear and intrigue older gamers as well. Its quirkiness and originality help make “Super Paper Mario” one of the most memorable titles on the Wii.

4. “Super Smash Bros Brawl” (2008)

One of the most-hyped games of all time, “Super Smash Bros. Brawl” had enormous shoes to fill. With the runaway success of “Super Smash Bros. Melee” on the GameCube, Nintendo and developer HAL Laboratory needed to come up with something big. And boy, did they go big for “Brawl.” Assist trophies, a new story mode, Solid Snake and Sonic the Hedgehog, beautiful graphics, Wi-Fi-supported multiplayer, a stage builder-there was no doubt that “Brawl” was big.

“Brawl” represented a culmination of everything right with the “Smash Bros.” series up to that point, tweaking and improving things where necessary to create a frantic, exciting fighting game experience unlike any other. Its array of features and brilliant game design led it to become one of the best party experiences on the console and one of the best games of its generation.

3. “Metroid Prime 3: Corruption” (2007)

2002’s “Metroid Prime” changed things for the sci-fi “Metroid” series. Adopting a first-person perspective, this radical departure was much-beloved for its retention of the explorative and dungeon-crawling elements of the “Metroid” series as well as its new direction with gameplay mechanics and its incredible atmosphere. In the third title, “Corruption,” Nintendo and developer Retro Studios continued their good work.

“Corruption” truly feels like an immersive experience, especially thanks to the first-person viewpoint and motion controls. But more than that, it once again has engaging environments and fast-paced, thrilling action-two things that the “Metroid” franchise has always been about. Boasting top-of-the-line graphics for the time and even having a decent story mode, “Metroid Prime 3: Corruption” is an out-of-this-world adventure worth embarking on.

2. “The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess” (2006)

If there was one way to describe “Twilight Princess,” it would be “cinematic.” Everything about the game’s production values from the graphics to the music to the cutscenes-screams of countless hours of toil and effort on Nintendo’s part. And they did a very good job, creating one of the most memorable Zelda titles to date. “Twilight Princess” felt like the step up it needed to be in order to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the likes of “Ocarina of Time.”

What we have here is an epic, sprawling adventure that sees players using brand-new mechanics and powers to battle terrible foes. It’s certainly a hallmark of Nintendo’s Wii library and an inspiration to all adventure games.

1. “Super Mario Galaxy” (2007)

“Super Mario Galaxy” is one of the greatest “Mario” games and one of the greatest games ever made. Why? Because-pardon the pun-Nintendo went above and beyond. A full symphony orchestra, stunning graphics (never let anybody tell you the Wii only had ugly games), and a refreshingly original gameplay style pushed the Wii to its limits and showed gamers everywhere what the little console could really do.

More than that, “Galaxy” boasts an astounding level of quality everywhere you turn. At the time of its release, it really did feel like the next “Mario”: the one to make the new advancements, the new tweaks, the new refinements that would push a widely-familiar formula to new heights. Nintendo reached for the stars on this one-and by God did they reach them.