Top 10 First Day Traditions in the Happy Valley

There are some things all Penn Staters must experience.

2
Onward State

The Penn State experience is built on a foundation of tradition. From our agricultural roots to Greek life of today and everything in between, rest assured that there is a "reason" that stands the test of time for why you have to do X, Y, or Z. Sometimes that reason is "just because." So, whether you're on the "+2" end of 2+2 or stepping onto campus as a first-year student, there are a few traditions everyone new to the Happy Valley simply must experience. The good, the bad, and the ugly... here are the top traditions for campus newbies on day one:

1. Can't sleep. Too excited.

Okay, so this one technically takes place before the first day of classes... but you catch my drift. There is no feeling quite like laying in your freshly made, Twin XL bed in a new-to-you dorm or apartment with anticipation for the semester to come. Will you love your classes? Meet any new friends? Find a club or interest you never thought of pursuing before? Find one million dollars on the sidewalk and quit all of this? The answers to all these (and more) are waiting in the days and weeks that follow this magical night of waiting. Rest up, because Sylly Week is just the beginning of what lies ahead.

2. Wake up outrageously early.

Somehow, regardless of the many warnings (and terrible past experiences) we have all encountered, that dreaded 8 a.m. class always seems to sneak into our carefully planned schedules. If you live off campus, God help you. Traveling from East Beaver to Ag Hill or from Park Ave to Shortlidge Mall is no small task.

3. Get lost.

Thank goodness you're a smart and savvy student who planned ahead and gave yourself some extra time. If you haven't figured out the CATA bus system, you'd better invest in a reliable GPS app. Otherwise, you may find yourself 15 minutes into a 20 minute walk realizing that you're getting farther away from your intended location. Rad. Love that. Since it's the first day of class, you have two options: suck it up, turn around and be late or drop that class like the annoying, unnecessary early-morning terror it truly is. (We all know what I'd do...)

4. Sit through your first ever Sylly Week class.

Odds are, it will be exactly as pointless as everyone told you it would be. Probably a good idea to still go to the next one. Because you just never know.

5. Figure out the damn bus system.

Listen man, you tried. But when you've reached 3/4 of your FitBit step goal by 9 a.m., something's gotta give. And that something is you. Download the app. Figure out the schedule and give your poor legs a break. Class is much more enjoyable when you aren't sweating and peeling off layers of clothing as you step over ten people and their backpacks to find an empty seat.

6. Prepare to chat with (or avoid) literally every person you've ever met that is attends PSU.

Went to high school together? Check. First-year roommate who kinda sorta hated your guts? Check. Friends from your study abroad? Oh yes. Kid you worked with at campus dining until he stopped showing up? You betcha. Even that chick you met once before transferring out of a bio lab will somehow find her way to you and want to know everything that has happened in your life since finals in May. Enjoy it while it lasts. The odds of seeing these people ever again are low. As in zero. Maybe 1/10.

7. Looking at your schedule like:

What better way to make this your home-away-from-home than signing up for some clubs and meeting interesting people? Answer: no better way. Making a transition into the PSU lifestyle can be daunting, but there are so many amazing people to meet and places to see... all of which can be done by joining the right groups. If you're not brave enough to suffer through the sea of bodies on HUB Lawn, at least scope out the clubs and email their exec boards.

8. Completely overestimate your time and interest in academic/extra curricular commitments.

Pretty self explanatory here. And a time-tested tradition. In two weeks' time, you'll be emailing the president of four clubs respectfully requesting to be removed from their listserv. And that is okay.

9. Stuff your face with Canyon Pizza.

Sure, you packed your lunch like a responsible adult and maybe even toasted your own bagel before leaving in the morning. After a long day of "adulting" and faking it till you make it on campus, you deserve this. Grab your Canyon Dollar and run.

10. Sweet dreams, little Nittany Lions.

You've got a big year ahead of you.

What are your Penn State traditions? Share them in the comments below!