10 Top Films You Have To See If You Are New To America

New to America or American Culture? Then you need to see these ten classic films.

95
The Dissolve

Like any nation, the United States of America has a rich history of film and the iconicism that comes with it. While there are many phenomenal American-made films, this list will focus on films that represent American culture, past and present. Even though many of these films are highly praised, these movies are not ranked by level of quality. Rather, the list is to serve as a brief guide for people new to the United States, or American culture.

1. The Wizard of Oz

"Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." While Dorthy may be transported to the mystical world of Oz, the film will take new viewers to many important aspects of the political history of the United States. For instance, the Scarecrow has been said to represent American farmers in the 19th century, the Tin Man symbolizes the industrial workers, and the Lion represents William Jennings Bryan, the secretary of state under Woodrow Wilson.

Bryan championed "free silver" and antagonized the gold standard (the practice of basing our currency on reserved gold), which the "Golden Brick Road" symbolizes. Even though it took me until my junior year of high school to learn this, the film puts these figures at the forefront of a major Hollywood production, that can allow new US citizens to have a perspective on our political system in the 19th century. Politics aside, the film is a perfect representation for the "Golden Age" of Hollywood (and one of the first prominent films mainly shot in color).

2. The Grapes of Wrath

Not only is John Ford's adaptation of John Steinbeck's classic novel a masterpiece of American cinema, it is also a painstaking depiction of the Great Depression. While America is the land of opportunity, it is also important to know of the hardships that people face here, both past and present. The Great Depression was a tragic point in our history, and couldn't be told any better than by "The Grapes of Wrath."

3. West Side Story

While West Side Story may not be the most accurate depiction of Gang life (the usual encounter with a gangster doesn't involve finger snapping and well-choreographed dance numbers), film adaptation of the beloved musical is a joy to watch.

West Side Story is a Romeo and Juliet tale of the doomed romance between Tony and Maria as a result of their families' feuding. The film tackles racism between the immigrant Puerto Rican gang, "The Sharks," and the scrappy New York gang, "The Jets." If you have never seen an on-screen American musical, West Side Story should be your go-to.

4. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

While Stanley Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket" and "A Clockwork Orange" would have also been great selections for this list, Dr. Strangelove is a wacky film about the Cold War paranoia that plagued the US through much of the latter half of the 20th century and should be viewed for many reasons. Most importantly is Peter Sellers' performance as the titular Dr. Strangelove and three other characters (yes, well before Mike Myers' similar feat in the "Austin Powers" franchise). While the film is incredibly eccentric and ridiculous, it is also an important reminder of how far paranoia can take us and gives people a good glimpse at Cold War era US.

5. American Graffiti

Before George Lucas crafted the largest space opera of all time, he made this little gem. American Graffiti embodies American culture of the early 1960's. The film depicts the stories of various teenagers during the ultimate night of drag racing, burgers, and booze. It also led to the creation of "Happy Days" and many teen films to follow.

6. Star Wars: A New Hope

While the film has been translated into numerous languages, if you haven't seen it, more than likely, you're from another planet. It stands as a major victory in American cinema and has ultimately shaped the science fiction genre.

7. Back to the Future

The 1980's was a crucial point in American cinema, and Back to the Future is a perfect example of the quality that came out of the decade. The memorable score, likable cast, and fun concept make Robert Zemeckis' family sci-fi adventure a winner. Also, the film gives viewers a look at American culture in the 1950's and the 1980's, making it even more insightful.

8. The Breakfast Club

The year 1985 introduced us to another must-see classic, John Hughes' "The Breakfast Club." While this film, like "Back to the Future," oozes 80's fashion and dialogue, it is such an important movie because it depicts American teen culture from past to current day. Alienation, unjustified school authority figures, and suicidal contemplation plagues many American high school students and this film explores it all perfectly.

9. Pulp Fiction

Sure, many of the techniques Quentin Tarantino uses, such as the use of a non-linear structure, aren't necessarily typical for an American film. However, the depiction of 1970's gang and drug culture is a required viewing for anyone not familiar with the outspoken filmmaker's work. The film also explores universal themes like religion and the media's effect on society.

10. Forrest Gump

Another classic from "Back to the Future" director, Robert Zemeckis, Forrest Gump shows the titular character's interaction with multiple instances of American culture over a long period of time. From the Vietnam War to the shooting of president John F. Kennedy, Gump is a timeless classic that gives a bullet-pointed list of some of the most critical event in US history.

Are you outraged with my list? Are you waving your fist with great force and furious anger that I didn't include other acclaimed American classics like "The Godfather" or "Gone with the Wind." Let me know your thoughts in the comments.