Top 10 Awkward Moments Being African American

Insight into the daily African American experience

45
soemancipated

Being the only African American in a classroom or in a friend group allow for some very unique experiences. For any European Americans reading this, being the only African American in a classroom is like you being the only European American in a group of African Americans. It can be uncomfortable looking different from everyone else in a classroom. Even though I've gotten used to it, it can still be annoying and just plain awkward. These are the most awkward for me.

1. Race related books in history.

Anyone remember "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" sophomore year of high school? I would be so afraid that someone would use the N word because then there’s that awkward moment in class when everyone is looking at you…

2. Slavery in history.

Following with the first moment, talking about slavery is awkward because, again, people stare. I honestly have no idea what is going through their minds.

3. Civil Rights in history.

We always learn about the same 3-4 people: Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks and Malcolm X. The whole Civil Rights unit was not taught right in my opinion. Malcolm X is perceived as violent - which isn’t correct, for one. And the class taught Civil Rights as if there are no race issues today, as if Martin Luther King said “I have a dream”, and his dream suddenly came true. The impacts of the Civil Rights movement is never extended into today’s society, and we only spent a week and half on it.

4. Being the only one with a different opinion.

Usually, whether in English or History, I’ll be the only one with a completely different opinion. Uncomfortable. You end up feeling like an outcast, another smack in the face that you’re the minority in more ways than one.

5. Representing your entire race.

This is the worst. Just because I happened to African American, does not mean that I represent all African Americans. We don’t all have the same opinions.

6. Non-African Americans using the N-word.

I personally grew up being taught that the n-word was just a bad word like any other curse word, so when European Americans or Latinos use it so comfortably, it is extremely disrespectful and puts me in an awkward position. The n-word is sourced in hatred and oppression, and it has no place in society today. No one should use the word, not even African Americans. Oh, and just because it’s in the rap music you listen to, doesn’t mean you can say it, even if it is in the lyrics.

7. When people make racist comments, the teacher is silent, and you just sit there like… Ugh.

In history class my junior year, students would say things that was so disrespectful to African Americans. One kid called African Americans “colored." That student didn’t apologize. "Black people are lazy.” OK, so we are just going to pretend like I’m not sitting right here in an Honors level class? I’m lazy…OK, thank you for making that assumption.

8. That one person who apologizes for slavery.

Those few European Americans who feel guilty about what their ancestors did and apologize to you by saying things like, “my ancestors made terrible decisions”. Please, just, no…..

9. “Can I touch it?” No, you may not touch my hair.

My hair is curly, your hair is straight. That’s it. Don’t just touch my hair. Usually I just let people because I have gotten so tired of that conversation as to why it’s rude. Just don’t touch an African Americans female (or male’s) hair. It’s more than just hair (listen to Solange’s song called Don’t Touch My Hair).

10. “It’s easier for African Americans to get into college” OMG.

This has to be the worst one for me. Personally because I take so many APs and Honors courses, literally put myself through hell to get good grades, and for someone to make this statement and invalidate all of my work is just so blatantly rude and disrespectful. This extends into any selective admissions process. African Americans don’t get positions because their African American, they get them because they’re qualified, point, blank and a period.