You Can Never Have Too Much Information

You Can Never Have Too Much Information

Especially nowadays...

16
You Can Never Have Too Much Information
Pixabay.com Creative Commons 0

If you've been reading my past articles, you've read my thoughts about a couple of docuseries that have been released (Dirty John and Surviving R. Kelly). I also read a book, Confessions of a Video Vixen by a woman you may know, Karrine Steffans. First, l have something to say about the R. Kelly thing. After the release of the Lifetime docuseries, Surviving R. Kelly, some people in internet land berated the women who told their stories, saying that they just wanted money. Some people questioned why they would discuss their personal experiences (true or not) in a docuseries after so many years have passed.

I feel that everyone who has a story to tell, a story which could help others, teach others, heal others, or heal themselves should tell their stories. They should tell their stories in any format they choose. In most cases no money could ever really compensate from tragedies that people have suffered, but if they do receive compensation, that's great.

It's really difficult to tell a story in which you know that there will be some backlash. In every one of these stories, I could tell from the titles of the docuseries and novel that there would be controversy. So, I know that the people who actually told their stories were worried on some level.

Debra Newell, the real-life single mother depicted in Dirty John definitely thought twice before she decided to go public. She didn't run off to the newspapers to talk about John Meehan, but she wanted to warn other people, to prevent them from becoming entangled with a guy like John. If you saw the docuseries, do you remember the scene in which she was in the public bathroom and overheard some women talking about her? Can you imagine how many people called her foolish and other unflattering names? It takes a great deal of bravery to spill your mistakes out to the public or to even say that you were victimized. We must also keep in mind that these stories impact the victims' families. One of Debra's daughters had her face hidden in the interview for the docuseries follow up, Dirty John, the Dirty Truth.

Although book book I mentioned was released several years ago, my heart also went out to Karrine Steffans, and I hesitate to say that you might know her by the name, Superhead. Karinne talked about what led her to being called this infamous name, and her story is sad but rings true, so true. As I read her book, I thought about how brave she had been, and I don't know if I could have written a book like her first one for any amount of money. I couldn't help but think that this book could help so many young girls who are chasing a dream, but going about it the absolute wrong way!

I have to say that in this Internet Reality TV Show Information Age, people of all ages have such a great opportunity to have a deeper understanding of people and learn from their mistakes. I know that most people think that it's all trash, but really I've learned more about people and life and dangerous situations in the last 10 years than I have during my entire life.