A Better Tomorrow Begins Today

A Better Tomorrow Begins Today

White Privilege And Injustice: The Solution Begins With You

278
A Better Tomorrow Begins Today
Quotes Gram

I saw a post recently that said, “I’m well aware the Black lives matter. Of course they do. Every life matters. But as a white person, I’m really tired of it being assumed that I’m ‘privileged’ simply because of the color of my skin. I call that racist.”

First off, we say all lives matter, but it’s like there’s a fine print that excludes black people, Muslims, immigrants, and the LGBTQ community. Then there’s the fact that I don't care how many times you explain the "Black Lives Matter" movement there will always be that ignorant SoB that says "All Lives Matter". I get it I do. Equality and all that jazz. But when you say that you're not only contributing to the problem, but you're making valid points on why the movement matters. To put it in to simpler terms, let’s take kids at daycare for example. Little Timmy wants to play with toys. All the other kids have 2 toys each and Little Timmy has none. Timmy says I want to play with the toy and the other kids respond we all want to play with these toys too. While that is true, that doesn't change that fact that Little Timmy has none and those kids are being selfish. Now as adults we'd say share the toys with Little Timmy. Why? Becaue Little Timmy Matters! Give Timmy a toy! Black people have no toys right now and until everyone learns that this is wrong and in turn start to share the toys...there will always be a need for a Black Lives Matter movement.

White privilege is a real thing people. The thing is that it doesn't matter how much money you have or where you live, if you’re white, you’ll still have experiences that I (as a member of two minorities) will not have. That's not racist, it's a fact. Before you go throwing the word racist around learn what it means. Being racist means showing the belief that a particular race is superior to another (usually the one you're apart of). How is someone who's not white telling you (a white person) that you have white privilege racist? Explain. Please. They're not saying they have privilege they're saying you do.

Let explain something for you. As a white person, you'll grow up and have boys and you raise them to respect all authority. You also tell them have your license and registration ready if you ever get pulled over. As a minority, I'll have boys and raise them to respect all authority. If you're pulled over, if it's at night, turn your lights on in the car, make sure your hands are visible, don't make any sudden movements, tell them what you're doing even if they just asked you to do it, face forward, don't give them any reason to be suspicious of you, answer all question clearly and don't mumble. White privilege is not having to worry about trivial things. With me, it's the little things that count. Small rules can't be broken. If too many black people are in one area you get suspicious and nervous whereas you don't take a second look at a gathering of white people. The fact is they could be equally up to no good, race doesn't matter. But then there's white privilege.

I think it’s crazy how people will throw out another story to make your feelings irrelevant. There was an article about an “unarmed” white teen being gunned down. The family wanted to know why there was no outrage or protesting. I read the article and realized the cop was charged. Why is it we compare injustices? Why do we feel the need to belittle someone else’s feelings by bringing up another problem? Black people can never get mad without at least one white person being offended that we have feelings. There’s nothing stronger than a group of people who can stand together in times of need, sorrow, or injustice and that scares people.

I also realize that we group all cops as bad cops when that’s not true. It’s sucks for the good ones out there who really do their job correctly and are overshadowed by the few bad ones. The fact of the matter is if you go to the store and buy something and one or two out of the bunch is gross and moldy then you throw it all out. You don’t stop to think well the rest look good and I should keep those. You think mold is bad and that could’ve effected the whole package. People are allergic to mold and this could seriously hurt someone. However, with that same point of view, you do the same with black men. How quick are you to assume the Black man was in the wrong and the cop was right andclearly the real victim? I’m sorry, but I’m sick of people saying that just because they have on a uniform. The uniform doesn’t automatically make them all law abiding citizens. Not all cops are good and have good intentions, just like not all black men are thugs and criminals.

I have a great respect for cops and I thank them every day for putting their lives in danger to save mine, however I still expect them to be law abiding citizens and not think that they are above the law. Not every homicide they commit is justified. Those cops in Dallas were good cops who protected innocent lives by putting themselves in the line of fire. However, not every cop joins for the good of humanity. Some join for power and power in the hands of the unjust calls for trouble. I'm not asking you to say all cops are dirty. I'm asking you to be willing to admit that even though the man had on a uniform and took an oath that he was wrong. Why can't we be willing to admit that the cop was wrong? We're human, we all have our sins and a cop is no different. He's not sin free and he can commit a crime. Stop believing that this uniform automatically makes him greater than thou. Because he's not. He's human. I know your dad, uncle, brother, sister, mom, aunt, or cousin may be a cop and they may be freaking amazing at their jobs, but just because your family member is great doesn't mean they all have the same intentions and good will. Just admit that these guys can make mistakes because you believing otherwise is only making it worse.

It's sad when you try to explain something to someone and you have to end the conversation with you don't get it or you don't understand. When you try so hard that your peacefulness eventually turns into hurt that they don't see your side and that turns into anger that they refuse to respect your point of view. It's also depressing because this is a time where we don't understand why black lives matter. A time where you'd rather be politically correct and say all lives matter and even then there seems to be a fine print that says only if those lives benefit what I believe in. People wonder why some people don't want kids. Why would I want to raise a child in a society where if it's a boy no matter what he does people will turn their backs on him and misjudge him or if it's a girl she faces the scenario of being raped and not believed because she drank too much or wore provocative clothing? Why do I want to have children who have to watch their mistakes more than little Susie or Adam because if anything ever happens to them the media will use it against them? Children are a blessing that's for sure, but these are not the facts and circumstances I want my children to face. It's a harsh reality and right now I choose not to bring more gifts/blessings from God to live in hell on earth.

In order for this situation to get better, we all have to come together. We have to set aside our pride and our anger and we need to make the world a better place for the future of the children. That will only work if we do it together. Now I’m not asking you to conform or forget because that’s impossible and unfair. I’m asking you to take a moment and reflect. Reflect and understand because there’s a reason for everything. You don’t have to agree, but respect the opinions of others. Learn how to state your opinion respectfully. You don’t have to force your beliefs down other’s throats. We have to work together because, honestly, that’s the only way to win. No more lives have to be taken in order to get what we want. Fighting fire with fire will only set the whole world ablaze and, in the end, we’ll all be left with nothing, standing in a pile of ash.

As John Lennon once said, "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope some day you will join us and the world will live as one."