Today I Am Thankful

Necessities are things that are necessary, or "required, in this life in order to live and survive, yet there are people who go without while others have everything they want -- and more. This is something we take for granted every day. Most of you woke up today, showered, got dressed and ate breakfast, went to work or maybe you had the day off to enjoy something fun. You woke up with a roof over your head and in a bed, had running hot water for your shower, food to eat and much more. You go around town, to school or to work in a car, you shop for groceries, clothes, toothbrush, toothpaste, medicine, etc. And the list could go on. Sometimes, we go through our daily routines without even thinking of being thankful for everything we have.

So be thankful because some person or child in a developing nation is going without. The things that we think are small (toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.) are big to others in countries where they have to go without the necessities that we are blessed to have. While you are complaining about not having that new iPhone 6 you've been wanting, or not getting that new Michael Kors watch, there is a family that does not know where their next meal is coming from. There are families who barely have any clothes, do not have clean water or medicine, and are a lot happier than a lot of people I see and know. They make the best of their situation and enjoy life to the best of their ability, while we complain about trivial matters.

Be thankful that you woke up with a roof over your head and that you have food on the table every day. Be thankful that you have a family because some children do not know what it is like to have a family to be loved by. Be thankful you get the choice and opportunities to go to school, parties, shopping, movies and all these "extravagant" things because those who are not as well off go day to day trying to figure out a way to live and make ends meet to survive. Be thankful, and do not take for granted the things that others would love to have, but simply don't.

Last week, I challenged people to spread love not hate. This week, I challenge you to open your eyes, open your mind and to just think for a second. Think about the necessities you have that many people in this world go without, right now. Imagine a life like theirs, and how hard that would be. The next time you complain and get angry when you didn't get something, or something didn't go your way, think about how a child is not getting a meal that night, or not getting the medicine he needs in order to get well.

I encourage you to stop being selfish and consider these types of things the next time you choose to complain, or say that you are poor. Lastly, I encourage you to pray (if you're the praying type) for the people of the world and for those struggling every day to find a way to make ends meet. Pray for the homeless, struggling families, and developing nations that their needs are met. Pray for everyone, for we all need it.

There are ways you can help and I encourage you to look into that. One of my personal favorites is Compassion International which helps provide children with all the necessities they need including learning about Jesus and his works. Also, you can go volunteer at a soup kitchen and help serve the needy; go to a homeless organization and help with gathering clothes and setting up a place for them so sleep; clean out your closet and donate the clothes or find a place that will distribute them to those in need.

I choose to be thankful. Every day.

Deuteronomy 15:11: For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, "You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land."

Link for Compassion International: http://www.compassion.com/