A Letter To My Younger Self

A Letter To My Younger Self

I can't look into the future and tell you everything you want to know, but I can tell you what I have learned.

18
A Letter To My Younger Self
Olivia Burton

To my younger self,

There is so much I could tell you about our life now. But I want to give you some words of wisdom instead. I don't have all the answers to everything yet either. But I can tell that at 20 years old life is no where how you thought it would be. But I have realized that it is okay, and you should too.

Firstly, don't worry about the latest trends. Being yourself is one of the best things you can be. If you're happy wearing your camouflage shirt to school because you have a great memory with it or it is comfortable then wear it. If you want to wear something that Mom got you but you're not quite sure what everyone else will think, wear it because Mom knows what you like and you know that you like that article of clothing too. Quit trying to live your life pleasing everyone else and not making yourself happy. At the end of the day when you're lying in bed at 3 a.m. pondering your 'big life decisions' you have made, think if they benefited you in making you have a better life.

Second, lose the attitude you have with Mom and Dad. They do everything in the world for you to give you an amazing life. Just cut the crap with them and show them that you care. You don't see it now but your attitude hurts them. Instead try being more pleasant and nice to them, they won't be around forever and you need to make the best of it. Giving your parents a genuine smile when you see them makes their day so much better. They actually know what is best for you (most of the time) so take a breather and listen to them. They have been your age once and times haven't changed that much. If you listen you will actually get great advice and get to hear some pretty cool stories about when Mom and Dad were your age.

Third, ignore that bully at school and don't be a bully. For the first part, ignore the person who is constantly putting you down, talking trash about you, and spreading gossip. All that matters is that the people who truly care about you know it's not true and know the real you. As for the latter, don't be the girl who goes with the crowd and making fun of the kid in science class. Just because they're different from you doesn't mean picking on them is okay. You never know what someone is going through. Try to lend a hand to that person and let them know that you are there if they want to talk. You never know, someday they could end up being your best friend.

Fourth, don't let that boy you have a crush on ruin your self esteem. Sure he may just be the 'hottest guy ever', but is he nice? Does he care about you for you? Would he fit into your family and would your family like him? One day he will break your heart by dating another girl or end up breaking your heart. Either way, you need to know you are beautiful and amazing, and God has someone picked out special for you. Don't let this heartbreak bring you down. Instead use it to add to your list of qualities you want in someone. They should be caring, compassionate, love to laugh and be silly, and should have stuff in common with you. Also believe or not, you will end up falling for someone just like your Dad and that is an amazing thing.

Fifth, enjoy your friends and be goofy with them. Sure y'all may still be watching Disney Channel together in the house and trying to be grown up at school. To be honest, that's completely okay, y'all are young and trying to truly figure out who all of y'all really are. But while y'all are at it, take time to be goofy and do silly stuff together. Just make sure that you know who your real friends are. The ones who would pick up the phone in the dead of the night because you need them. Or as you get older the ones who will come and pick you up because the guy you like so much has broke your heart. Keep them close and in your life, put your trust in them and show them that you care about them.

Sixth, don't let anyone control you, put you down constantly, or tell you that you're not worth it. Because you ARE worth it, you're worth someone's time and worthy of them caring for you. You have your own mind and you don't need someone sitting and telling you how to dress, that you need to lose weight, or that you shouldn't go be with your friends. If someone is in your life still doing this, think about rearranging who you are around. Instead find someone that uplifts you, is a partner with you, and is proud of who you are. They should think you are perfect just the way you are. They should encourage you to be with your true friends just as you should them. But they should also want to get to know your friends and not make you be distant with them.

Finally, when you're sitting up at night and can't sleep pondering about the future. Don't worry about it. If you're happy, loved by your true friends and family, you have everything that you need in life. Don't be so hard on yourself, don't tear yourself down, and don't think you're not good enough. You are brilliant, beautiful, and so many people love you. I know you think everything is going wrong, but sit back and take time to realize everything that is right in your life. Instead of pointing out your flaws when you can't sleep and that is where your mind is heading, go in the opposite direction. Find stuff that makes you proud of who you are, stuff that makes you happy because it reflects in you from your day to day life. Whether it be that you try to always keep a smile, or you are truthful with your friends. Whatever it is, find it and hold onto it.

Remember, before you can love someone else, you have to love yourself. One day your prince will come and whisk you away. You will grow up(older than 20-hard to believe I know) and you will look back and see that the stuff you worried yourself to death with was silly. Never regret anything that happens to you, because everything happens for a reason. When in doubt don't hesitate to call Mom and ask for advice-she actually knows what she is talking about. Try to spend each day finding something good that happens and about yourself and you will be happier. And if you are having trouble with something then let go and take to God. Some of your biggest burdens will feel lighter to you when you give it all to Him to help you with.

Now grow up kid, but don't wish your life away.

Love always,

Someone Who Has Been In Your Shoes.